Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

2008 Audi A8 4.2 battery dead key stuck in ignition can't

Customer Question

2008 Audi A8 4.2 battery dead key stuck in ignition can't get in trunk can it be jumped from under hood
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Audi Mechanic will know what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The car is in my garage and can't be towed need to jump the battery
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: The only thing wrong is dead battery
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Audi Mechanic should know about your Audi?
Customer: Not at this time
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Audi Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Audi Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

There are jumper posts under the hood where you can connect jumper cables. If it won't jump from those posts it will at least power up the trunk release and you can open the trunk to access the battery.

Let me see if I can find a diagram to show you where they are located.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I need a picture where the post are located. Thank you so very much.
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

I can't find a useful diagram in the audi service manual but it should be a small post under a red plastic cover like in this picture. Usually on the passenger side of the engine near the firewall. Once you find that post you should be able to hook up the positive jumper cable, then the negative cable can go to any ground point on the engine (basically anything metal).

Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

I just wanted to check whether you need any additional help.

If you no longer need assistance, please don't forget to rate.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks. I was able to release my key. There is a small release button located by the ignition key inside the circle that surrounds the key hole you'll need a small pin or paper clip to push in the release button.
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

Oh good. I'm sorry, I thought the concern was more about getting it to jump start otherwise I would have mentioned the key release.

Please let me know if you need assistance in the future.

Please don't forget to rate.