Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Experience:  Senior Audi Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

Should the ext cam gear be free or have resistance ?? The

Customer Question

should the ext cam gear be free or have resistance ??
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The issue is there is a lot of play with the cam girdle in place?/ does the exh cam gear "in back of head" have resistance or should it spin ??
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Audi Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 9 months ago.

Thanks Joe for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

i do need the vin # ***** get the correct repair information to assist!! what are you trying to do?

thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

06 Audi A4 Quattro Vin: WAUDF78E66A248746.. The tool drops into place on the cyl head. The issue is the intake cam can be "rocked" several degrees almost 3/8" or better, Almost giving you multiple options for chain placement on gear(s) This is the issue. Should the intake cam "favor" the going towards the exhaust cam or should it favor going towards the intake manifold ie: clockwise or counterclockwise ?? What is preferred steup procedure??

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 9 months ago.

ok set the timing belt on tdc. you rock the intake camshaft clockwise to line up the chain. on the camshaft gear there is a dot. that dot needs to be 12 o clock position.

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Wolfgang, the issue is where to set the intake camshaft, Also is the exhaust cam gear advance mechanism "back of head" a fixed gear or is it spring loaded? How does it operate ? We set the chain as we thought it should go on position wise, prior to starting the engine the specified intake position is 28 and once engine runs it's actual value is 36, This is the problem. Code 00022 correlation comes back,

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 9 months ago.

was the exhaust gear broken ? can you explain further before repair work done and now what new parts are being used?

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

hi checking in . i still need to know the last question i have asked!!

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

After getting frustrated beyond belief, I took apart the Exhaust Cam-advance mechanism. Upon close examination, There was slight scoring in the port, purchased a new gear, and that allowed the "Intake" cam to remain stationary with the cam tool in place. Th scoring wasn't allowing the advance mechanism to remain still. The valve springs force was pushing the intake camshaft counter-clockwise. Thanks for all the support.

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

great to hear!! anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

Thanks

Wolfgang

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

have a safe one!!