AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

I have a massive leak around the torque converter. Replaced

Customer Question

I have a massive leak around the torque converter. Replaced the seal and still leaks. Bushing looks fine. Not loose and no obvious signs of damage. Torque converter hub shows no signs of damage
JA: Leaks can get messy. The Audi Mechanic will know what to do with your Audi. What model and year is your Audi?
Customer: 2001 A4 Quattro with a 1.8L turbo engine
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: That's pretty much it. A massive leak around the torque converter seal
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have replaced the seal twice thinking maybe I got a bad seal the first time or had an issue installing it the first time with no luck
JA: Are you ready to speak with the Audi Mechanic now?
Customer: yes
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Audi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 9 months ago.

Is it trans fluid or oil leak ??

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is trans fluid
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The transmission was supposedly rebuilt before I bought the car. However I can't confirm that. It has leaked since I bought it and has gotten to a point that I won't drive it to avoid any damage. It is from the bell housing area which led me to the torque converter seal. There is no evidence that the pump seal is leaking. Nor any visible damage to the bushing or tc hub.
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 9 months ago.

Is the rear main seal part of the engine dry ??

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the rear main is dry along with the engine side of the flex plate
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 9 months ago.

At times the trans pan gasket will leak while driving and then the fluid will run onto the bell housing area have you made sure this is not your case

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was able to seal the torque converter and found a small pin hole leak on one of the welds around 5 psi. But I am having trouble finding a replacement for trans code fal or somewhere near me that could rebuild it
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 9 months ago.

Wow i honestly have never seen a torque converter leak from the welds thats something new for me you more then likely will need to order a new converter