sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My audi Q7 will not start why?

Customer Question

My audi Q7 will not start why?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Let me ask a few questions first. Will it not even crank? or does the engine crank and fail to start? or when you turn the key you get absolutely nothing? If you turn the switch to the ON position, does the dash light up like it should? Let us know thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It will not crank but the lights and audio works
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Alright, any security message? anti theft light blinking etc? What about a spare key? have you tried that?

Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Has it ever had this problem before? or is this the first time this problem has happened?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have not tired I spare key....no security message nothing. None of the dashboard lights turn on when I put the key in. Only the miles number shows and the audio system. I get nothing when I turn the key on. The battery was fully charged on Saturday.
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Alright, Do you have a voltmeter or have you tried to jumpstart the vehicle yet? It could have a draw, or I have seen batteries just short out and lose charge overnight before as well.

Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Are the headlights bright? and do they work even?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is not the battery cos after putting the fully charged battery still did not get any response when the car was started
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also because the car will not start the shift can't move to neutral for the car be towed.
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Alright, Do the headlights work and do they seem bright? Did you check your fuses yet? What about the brake lights? I'm trying to see if battery voltage is even getting to the main fuse box.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
All fuse work fine because a mechanic friendcame by my house to check the car and all those you have mention
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The headlight comes on when the car stars
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Alright, I'm going to have to opt out on this one, this is really one of those problems I feel I would have to get hands on this vehicle to give you a proper diagnosis unfortunately. I will opt out and put your question back up so if another expert has another idea they can then respond. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no answer huh
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay am waiting and I hope it comes earlier than later
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Am still waiting for the new Mechanic
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that will prevent cranking including the ignition switch, starter, starter relay, the battery, cables and connections, the transmission range sensor, or the engine controller may not be awake.

Are the headlamps normal brightness?