peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician with more then 17 years ecperience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

2001 Audi S8 (D2) The vehicle starts up (Vrrrm) - then

Customer Question

2001 Audi S8 (D2)
The vehicle starts up (Vrrrm) - then dies..
Is this a fuel pump or fuel filter - or other problem
Thank you
Category: Audi
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do you see a theft,security or anti theft light or message on the dash at all either on steady or flashing when the engine dies out?

Did this start all of a sudden or start to act up before intermittently?

Have you tried to start with a second key at all if you have one?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see a yellow light (outline picture of a car and key...I wonder if the key is programed to the antitheft?I tried with second valet key--- does the same thing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had the car running down the highway on a long trip.. ran wonderful down the road.. no problems.... then when I turn the car off- it will not restart

O.k.,this is the security light.This indicates the vehicle is in anti theft mode causing the start and stall out you have here.This usually indicates one of the security components has failed and is not recognizing the keys anymore.This is a common issue.Usually the key sensor/immobilizer that reads the key will fail suddenly like this here and cause this fault unfortunately.

Unfortunately in this situation the codes will have to be read out of all computers using a computer or scan tool that will plug in and read all computers to see what codes are set.Then from there the codes are diagnosed to locate and repair the fault.This means the vehicle will most likely need towed to a dealer or repair center that works on this model here to diagnose the sensor fault and replace it then reprogram as needed.

Unfortunately this can fail suddenly like this here and there isnt a way to bypass it.You can try to lock and unlock the doors with the key or remote and then see if it starts but if it doesnt then it will need diagnosed and tested further and then repaired to correct this.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete