Audi0405
Audi0405, Technician
Experience:  10 years in Vw and Audi Field
22815973

I have a 2000 Audi A6 2.8 that cranks but no start
, I

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I replaced the passenger cylinder head as the camshaft broke and wobbled in the journals. I ensured everything was aligned, camshaft marks on both heads aligned and crank aligned at TDC on #3 cylinder. Used a cam lock bar and crank lock.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Audi Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 10 months ago.

Do you have any faults in the ecm ?? have you checked compression in that cylinder head ?? do you have fuel pressure and spark ??? Please answer these questions for me thank you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I believe I figured it out on my own. Timing belt is off 1 tooth on the crankshaft sprocket. I'm going to pull off the timing belt again tonight. I hope that's it.
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 9 months ago.

Ok please check that hopefully you did not bent the valves because this is a interference engine and iff timing is off enough it will cause damage to the valves . I hope this helps.

Please dont forget to provide feedback/rating for the help thank you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
After fixing the timing it still won't start. Compression is good and i can smell fuel but no valve to check fuel pressure. Any ideas?
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 9 months ago.

Any faults yet ??

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Nope. Still no faults in the ecm.
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 9 months ago.

Please check for spark and compression and let me know the results

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Checked compression again and it's low on both cylinder heads. Pulled both heads off and no marks on the pistons to indicate striking the valves. Going to check the valves to see if they are leaking and then relap the valves and check again.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Anything else I should check on the heads while they're off?
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 9 months ago.

Did you do a cylinder leakage test when the heads where still on it ???

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The compression held steady if that's what you mean. Using the compression tester, which is the only equipment I had available for testing.
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 9 months ago.

Cylinder leakage tester was needed to be done before you removed the heads to see how much leakage you had in every cylinder