gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW certified technician, Chicago VW/Audi Training Center, Seattle VW/Audi Academy
12249065

My 2001 audi a4 quattro 1.8t is spuddering on hard

Customer Question

hello - my 2001 audi a4 quattro 1.8t is spuddering on hard acceleration, especially in 2nd gear. I've replaced the coil packs and spark plugs, still doing it.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: sure, what would you like to know. When it gets up around 3k RPM is when it spudders. its almost like a skip
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Audi Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also changed Mass Air Flow Sensor a month ago.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 10 months ago.

Check your hoses from the turbo- I have seen the clip that holds the rubber hose to the hard fittings will wear and round off, and allow the hose to come loose. Look for any sign of oil leakage, as there is a lot of oil that gets into the intake tract, and it works as a good indicator of intake boost leaks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
can you provide a picture or explanation of where the turbo is located? I'm not sure I even know which part is the turbo, and what the specific hose looks like..

Turbo is on the passenger side of the engine block, bolted below the exhaust manifold. The intake should go in from the front of the turbo, and then outward under pressure from the bottom side of the turbo. The hose then goes down, along the front under the radiator area, and comes back up on the other side to go into the intake manifold.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
given that, is this likely something that a non-mechanic should be able to locate and look at? If it's down that low I'm not sure I can get there without moving things.

well, you may have to remove your belly pan to access underneath. Have you had the system scanned for faults?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The check engine light has not been on. Should I still check for any codes? I have a scanner.

I would check it just to see if it stored anything.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No codes at all.

I'd still try to take a look at all the intake hoses, and also listen for any leaks in vacuum hoses with the engine running.