Jake
Jake, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained
9204914

My 2004 Audi Allroad 2.7t is having cooling issues. The

Customer Question

My 2004 Audi Allroad 2.7t is having cooling issues. The engine fan only runs when I turn the AC on. The engine temp gauge moves pretty quickly to the 12 oclock position even though I can smell that the engine is hot and can sometimes see a little steam coming from the hood. I have replaced the green temp sensor in the upper hose and the black sensor at the bottom of the radiator. No change in engine temp or overheating.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have ran VAG with no errors showing regarding cooling or sensors.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Audi Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Audi
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 10 months ago.

It's possible that either you have a leak in the system, which allows the coolant to boil (it should be able to hold pressure and keep from boiling, like a pressure cooker) or your coolant pump has failed. You can take the small return hose off the coolant bottle, point it into the top of bottle, and rev the engine to about 2000rpm. You should have constant flow, and not a lot of air or spitting.

Expert:  Jake replied 10 months ago.

Hi and thanks for requesting me. If the engine overheats in about 10 minuets of operation and the fan does not come on, the thermostat is stuck shut. The fans don't come on because there is no coolant flow past the fan sensor in the lower radiator hose. If you check the temperature of the lower radiator hose you can confirm that it is quite a bit cooler than the upper.