Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

To set timing, must it be on intake or exhaust stroke?

Customer Question

to set timing, must it be on intake or exhaust stroke?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

Hello

you normally set the timing with the no.1 cylinder at TDC so just after the intake stroke

if you can tell me the engine size ( and I'm assuming its a petrol) I can post up the timing procedure

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Its a V6. I thought it was #1, but on this engine they said #3, or do you just line up the marks on crank and line up cams? Thank You so much!
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

Hello

I'm going to need a smidge more information chap

as the V6 came in 2.6 & 2.8 and 2.8 30V forms and was fitted to 4 different chassis?

so if you can tell me the engine size, what car its in and if its a 30V or not

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
30v
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

Hello

OK timing diagram is attached

looks like you need a couple of special tools to do this one, although the locking pin for the crank can be substituted with a drill bit of the right size

Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you