Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Driver Side Window Not Working.

Customer Question

Driver Side Window Not Working.
Category: Audi
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 10 months ago.

Hello. What year is your Audi? If the only thing not working is the driver side window, then I would put my money on a bad power window motor. You would have to remove the door panel and use a test light to check for power at the connector when you toggle the switch. If you need the procedure to remove the door panel I can provide that to you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Brian,I actually filled out more in-depth response, but I guess it's not showing it to you?It's a 2004 A4 3.0 Quattro. The problem originally started with the regulator(s), which I ended up replacing the other day. The master driver switch works fine with all the other windows except the driver's side. All of the lights are powered on the switch, however, the child lock function is faulty and in the "on" position at all times. I do have a replacement switch on the way, but I wanted to know if anything else can cause this?I swapped motors between the driver and passenger, since both regulators were shot and both motors worked on the passenger side.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I also forgot to mention the auto rollup/rolldown window feature doesn't work either if I put the key in the keyhole and hold it there.

Ok. Nothing showed up on my end except "driver side window not working". With what I know now, I would bet on the power window switch being the problem. It usually is the cause in cases like this.

Obviously the switch is getting power since everything else is working fine. You could check to make sure that it's not a damaged wire by checking for power right out of the switch but I think that you'll find that there is no power coming from the switch.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can you tell me which wires/pins provide power from the switch to the motor?

That's what I was actually looking for. Alldata gives almost no information on this vehicle. No connector diagrams, test procedures, etc. I will continue to look through the wiring diagrams and see if I can find something to help you. Just a minute.

I am finding absolutely nothing for electrical diagrams or connector views. I really doubt though that the problem is a broken wire between the switch and the motor. 9 out of 10 times it's the switch. If you would like, I can open this question in case somebody else here has access to wiring diagrams for this car if you would like to do some electrical testing.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If you could open it I would appreciate it, I want to verify the electrical connections.

No problem at all. Someone should be by shortly with those.

Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. Different expert here.

I do have the electrical diagram. My printer/scanner is down so I could only upload one half of the diagram at a time. Is that OK with you?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
that's fine I am at work, so it's not critical and it's a second car. I won't be able to check it out until later or tomorrow anyway.Thanks.

I was able to compress the image enough to fit the entire diagram in one page (see attachment).

Please accept and rate my answer if this helps you.

Best Regards.

Diagram attached.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Juan that is exactly what I was looking for. It's been awhile, since I read a wiring diagram and since I'm focused on just the driver side window. Can you let me know if this how I would troubleshoot it I want to test the drivers switch.If I provide power to pin number 2 I should see power (+12v/-12v?) out on pins 1 or 5 depending if I push the button up or down right?

Actually, your best bet would be not to apply power, but to check for power with a high impedance meter at those pins. That way you're not runing the risk or damaging any electronic component.

Best Regards.