FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFICATION, AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL
1627031

I am leasing an A4; the car has 31,000 miles and about 2.5

Customer Question

Hi.I am leasing an A4; the car has 31,000 miles and about 2.5 yrs old. Due to a problem the entire engine was just changed in the car. Aside from the fact that the new engine looks 2/3rd of the size vs the previous one, I am not sure what this car has become after the service. I was planning to purchase the car, but I am not sure anymore. Should I? Is there any advantage or disadvantage having a new engine? Is this even normal for a rather new car?
Thank you.
Category: Audi
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. It is not too common to have this engine replaced at this mileage, but I have seen it before. Most of the time it is because or owner neglect, but I have seen them fail even when when they are taken care of. When the engine was replaced though the exact same engine should have been installed as another size engine would not work in this car. The up side to this is that you have a fresh engine and a new warranty on it. The down side is that the old engine failed for some reason. Did the dealer happen to tell you what happened with the old engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean owner neglect? I was putting the best fuel available in, taking to the mandatory service appointments, kept in a garage, driving it normally. Previously I was not able to see through the motor and I probably could not even fit a tennis ball anywhere, but now I can see through the entire construct down to the ground. The size is much smaller..apparently the new A4 motor has a more compact size (at least that is what I have been told). I was only told it had an internal problem. I was on the highway alone with my kids when the car started shaking and slowed down to 20 miles per hour and could not go faster. The motor may have a new warranty but they obviously had to change a lot more than that. I cannot recognize a single thing under the hood. All seems replaced. Is this shows on the Carfax?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Yes, this will show on the Carfax, but the engine should be no different. The only thing that may be different would be if they did not reinstall all of the engine covers as they should have. As for the neglect, I am not saying that you neglected it, I just mentioned that as it was the most common cause of failure at an earlier mileage such as this.