peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician with more then 17 years ecperience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

The issue is with my 2007 Audi Q7 V6 3.6L engine. I am

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** and the issue is with my 2007 Audi Q7 V6 3.6L engine. I am having a reoccurring issue with the EPC
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure. It started about 3 months ago. The first time that it happened I was driving 65mph when I lost rpm (power) while driving. The car would still go but there was no acceleration. I took it to my authorized Audi mechanic who did a diagnostic check and found fault P0016. He replaced a sensor to see if perhaps it would repair the issue. It worked for about 60 days. Then the same thing happened again. I took it back and this time he got a different error code. He replaced the sensor and I drove for about 30 days before the EPC came on again. This time the mechanic is telling me the code is again P0016 crankshaft and camshaft have incorrect correlation but the sensor is not the issue. He needs to drop the engine and transmission assembly to replace 2 tensioners, 3 guides and 2 chains. My pain point is that the car is valued around $10k in the blue book and the repair will be about $4,300. I am trying to find out how common this problem is and if Audi will help.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Audi Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: What makes an Audi expert in this forum?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Audi
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The code you have matches the fault that is occuring and since the sensors did not correct this issue here and the most common fault is the timing components being damaged or the timing chain has jumped needing replaced.This is most common for this fault here on this model unfortunately and can be an expensive repair to repair this issue.Usually for a 2007 model Audi wont help with the costs for repair since it is several years out of warranty already.You can try and contact Audi customer support to see for sure but usually they wont help on this here.It will have to be inspected and repaired further.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I spoke with Audi. They have a process they want me to follow. Because I used a foreign automotive speciality shop which has ASE & Facotry master certified mechanics who are also Audi technical specialists and Audi academy certification award holders but NOT a dealership Audi wants me to take the car to a dealership service center and pay for the evaluation. Then the dealership will call Audi to determine what, if anything, they would be willing to do. Have you heard of this process and if so what have you seen as an outcome?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I expect the dealership will charge 2 or 3x what the smaller shop has quoted. I am just aghast that the design of the engine is such that both the engine and transmission must be removed to make the repair. It seems Audi had a bad design with this engine...Do you know if this is a "common problem"?
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 10 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.

The timing components failing can be a common issue although it isnt something I see all the time but it very possible.Audi will always want you to use dealer technicians as they cannot communicate with outside sources and they have had issues before with outside sources so they always need to have a dealer look into the issue so they can speak to the dealer on the diagnosis and repair.It isnt anything against where you did take it to but the fact that they need factory trained technicians at a dealer to look into this further.

Some engines were designed where the complete assembly needs removed for repair.I have run across this not only with this manufacturer but others as well for some simple repairs like having to pull the engine and transmission to replace an engine oil pan gasket on a GM model as well as removing the complete intake to replace a starter,etc.The designs arent the greatest in some cases.

The dealer will usually charge anywhere from an hour to two hours to diagnose the fault.You can also ask if they will only diagnose up to a certain fee so they dont over charge you but they may not be able to fully diagnose up to the fee you set.

Once they diagnose it and find out it is timing related then you and the dealer can work with Audi to see if they will help or cover any repair costs.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete