Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I have a 2007 audi q7 30 litre tdi the engine management

Customer Question

Hi i have a 2007 audi q7 30 litre tdi the engine management light came on when i checked it out it registered a fault p3243 throttle actuator electrical fault also the turbo is not boosting car very much down in power anyone know what to do next
Category: Audi
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

like a lot of modern diesels the engine has a throttle much like a petrol engine

its only used as vacuum generating device and most of the time its wide open

however if you get a problem with it then it can stick shut which will then choke the engine and massively reduce power

1st thing to try is just cleaning it out, remove the intake pipe work just before the engine so you can reach inside the throttle with a lint free rag and brake cleaner to give it all a good wash out and remove the carbon deposits

also check the wiring to the throttle and its connection for corrosion and damage

if cleaning it doesn't help and the wiring is OK then I'd replace the throttle body

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi matt I have checked the inlet manifolds they look pretty clean but noticed a bit of play in the flaps . All the wiring looks good to did notice when you turn on the ignition the shafts move up and down which connect the motors to the flaps in the intake air manifolds but nothing happens when the engine is running would this tell me the motors were working or not . The turbo is not boosting but looks in good condition no sign of damage . Before this fault occurred egr vacuum solenoid used to move a linkage in and out but it's not doing it now may this be part of the problem .only fault showing up is P3243
Regards ***** *****
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello

thanks for the extra information

they are prone to the EGR valve /s sticking over time and this can then let a lot of carbon build up inside the inlet manifold so I'd try cleaning out the throttles as I've 1st suggested and also wash through the EGR valves with more brake cleaner

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you