peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician with more then 17 years ecperience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

I have a 1997 Audi q6 that keeps draining the battery to the

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Audi q6 that keeps draining the battery to the point the headlights will not even come on
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It was doing great one day and then I went to start it the next and it was like the battery was completely dead , my lights or nothing would come on
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** for the question. If the vehicle is starting and running fine then the charging system and alternator should be fine. If the battery is dying over night then the battery itself should be tested for a shorted cell. A bad battery can cause this. If the battery is fine then you may have bad terminals on the cables or something is not turning off over night and a parasitic battery test needs to be performed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The vehicle is not starting, the battery is completely dead when I come back to start it. What do you mean by "something is not turning off over night"? Also what is a parasitic battery test?

If the battery is dead then you should have it tested for a bad cell. The battery may be the main issue. As for something staying on, there may be a circuit not turning off properly which is draining the battery. The test I mentioned is done with an amp meter at the battery whic helps identify this circuit issue. Most technicians can do this test.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you please describe the circuit or circuits that would cause this issue , or are you describing a circuit issue within the battery? I'm lost.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am not happy with your answer. Can I speak with another expert?

It can be anything from a light, to the radio, to the ignition. I am not referring to any one area. There are hundreds of circuits that can cause this. The test helps to isolate it.

I am sorry you are not happy with my answer. I will opt out and have another expert help. Please do not respond it rate me as the question will then lock to me. Have a good night.

Expert:  peterpete190 replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do you still need help with this here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.