peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician with more then 17 years ecperience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

Just replaced the engine in my car got it running today. And

Customer Question

Just replaced the engine in my car got it running today. And it turns fine. However I took it on a test drive and at about 10 mph I get a bad vibration???? CV ? Drive line? Not sure where to start.
Category: Audi
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Check and see if the engine mounts are broken or loose at all.Check the exhaust to see if it is bent or damaged or installed incorrectly as these will all cause this issue here.If these are all checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Mounts are torqued down. When removing the engine several of the large balls in the driveshaft fell out. I cleaned them , greased them and put them back in. Putting them back in was a bit of a challenge. Also I did loosen the center drive shaft mount. I put it back where it was before. I also noticed the drive side CV joint has a torn boot. I do plan to replace it asap. But I need my car back. I have been borrowing a friend's car for a month. And they need it back.

Since the CV balls did fall out there is a chance that the CV joint itself is bad and needs replaced.The balls shouldnt fall out unless there is an issue with it and I suspect this is causing the vibration here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
While fighting the disconnect the shift linkage the CV was inadvertently tilted enough for one to fall out. Then while wiggling the transmission out it was tilted again and a few more fell out. They were tight going back in. They don't feel loose. I did not have a vibration before pulling the engine.
???
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If it is this joint how hard is it to replace? And how hard it it to line up the center mount?

Unfortunately my info isnt showing me a cost or any info on the center joint itself.If you want I can open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Would the center mount being slightly off also cause this? If so how can I resolve it?

It can,if it is off to where it throws everything out of alignment it will cause this here.Unfortunately my info isnt showing how this can be centered or resolved here.You may have to see if there is an adjustment for this mount or if it needs replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There is quite a bit of adjustment available. I tried to line it up in the same spot as before.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I would like to see if anyone else might have some input.

No problem.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete