Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Experience:  Senior Audi Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

2004 Audi A8 D3 - VIN WAUML44E04N006800 - Attached please

Customer Question

2004 Audi A8 D3 - VIN WAUML44E04N006800 - Attached please find the latest scan after installing new fuel pumps. I drove the car on a short 5 mile loop. The engine seems to run alright. The transmission is fussy and doesn't like to start in '1' at each
stop. If I shift to 'R' then back to 'D' and then check the tiptronic number it will go to '1'. Otherwise it might stay in '2' or '5'. Usually '2'. I'm driving it very delicately. Fussy transmission. 'Brake' light flashing MMI dark so no radio, navigation,
et al. Thanks.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ok let me get the parking brake diagram on this and will get back

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checking in. I'm guessing I should swap out the Electronic Parking Brake module that lives under the battery in the trunk. Do you have any info yet? I have a manual now for reference. If you are too busy to work on this let me know. Thanks.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

i'm still working on this i will have a game plan later this evening!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I need to find another expert for help with this question and project. This is too long a time to wait for an answer.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

sorry for the delay . i need you to check fuse sc1 and sc23 instrument panel end right side make sure they are not blown then check fuses sf 8 and 9 luggage compartment fuse box right side. check with key on if fuses good make sure that there is battery voltage there

please let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All of those fuses are good. Voltage reading at 8 & 9 12.5v.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

how about 1 and 23?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12.6v at both sc1 and sc23 w/key on.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

on the module i need you to check pins 13, 15, 22 these 3 should be hot and the grounds are pins 24, 28, 30 so check all. the module is located under the battery.

please let me know!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I check the pins with the module plugged into the connector?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

check it unplugged .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I check if pins are 'HOT' is I unplug the module? I'm checking the module pins or the connector?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

the connector.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Parking Brake Module Connector:Pin 13 = 12.5v
Pin 15 = 12.5v
Pin 22 = 0.0vPin 24 = Good Ground
Pin 28 = Good Ground
Pin 30 = Good Ground
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ok with the control module plugged in do you have power on pin 22 with the key on engine running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I plug in the connector and check the pin?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

the only way is to piggy back a wire with a t pin and then place battery back and then measure at the wire that you placed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pin 22 shows no voltage when connected, key on, one probe on tapped wire, other probe on grounding post. However, -10.5v show when one probe on Pin 22 tap and Pos battery post.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have also double checked fuse sc1. There is still power there to the right side or front post of the sc1 fuse socket key on. However, after doing a crude check I could not find continuity between the left side or rear post of the sc1 fuse socket and my tapped wire that is piggy backed on the black/grey wire to pin 22. The schematic attached makes me think that wire to pin 22 is broken somewhere between the pin 22 and it's fuse.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

yes correct !!! what happens if you place a dirty overlay from the fuse to pin 22? i bet you get communication to the module then

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dirty Overlay? Like just a temp wire? I am heading to the store to buy some wire and things now. Will check immediately upon my return.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

yes correct !!

just be careful!!!! 12v can damage things!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I ran a line from the hot side of the fuse SC1 directly to the piggy back on Pin 22 and checked for voltage. Then I plugged in the connector and checked for voltage as close as I could get to the piggy back point. Then I did a number of scan and a lot of repetitive DTC clearing. Attached is the most recent scan. The red light on the pBrake and the PARK BRAKE indicator are flashing. Both motors respond when I push or pull the pbrake switch. But the lights remain flashing. At one point they went steady. I may have bothered some other gray wires in that loom to the pBrake module. (That's my first guess.) Though I cam encouraged since the current fault codes seem to be new fault codes.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Great. Now you need a second person to make sure both brake motors are working. Usually it's the caliper with the motor freezes up.

Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Raised rear end, removed rear wheels. Both motors make noise. And it seems that both motors push the caliper. The left one spins free with EPB off, then when switched on it holds tight. The right spins free when switched off, when switched on however, it seems like the piston is moving the caliper the best it can, and there is some friction on the rotor from the pressure. However the rotor can still turn with the resistance. Also I noted on both sides, the outside pads are warn to the point that the friction material is as thick as the backing pad. The inside pads: the friction material is warn almost, if not completely away. And now the 'warn disc pad' symbol is appearing in the center dash screen. So maybe it's not seizing, just out of pad to push? Maybe install new pads and re-calibrate and see if it cheers up?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

the side where the caliper is not tightening up is an issue and the caliper is frozen mechanically and needs to be replaced with a new brake job . there is a specail procedure where the scan tool is needed to unscrew the caliper totally first then push the piston in with a pliers or c clamp then do the brake change and the caliper change then using the scan tool relearn the position of the pads. that is the only way and do the retraction with the engine running . low voltage is very bad!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) So I need to change rear pads and the right caliper and follow the specific procedures for opening and closing the caliper with the scan tool? Is that right?2) "low voltage is very bad" - do you mean during the procedure or in general? I've been keeping a charger on this car at all times.3) I have watched a video from RossTech that shows going into the basic function settings for the Parking Brake and opening the calipers and closing them and then cycling them. And then you enter new numbers for the pads thicknesses. Also this follows the procedure in the service manual I have. So I think I can pull it off.Also, it looks like calipers with electric motors are pricey. Can I get a remanufactured caliper that doesn't include a motor and use my original motor?Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, any advice on sourcing caliper?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Yes on 1 and 2 and 3 is a relearn procedure. Sourcing is the dealer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When going into Basic Functions on the EPB in the VAG-Tool, the brake motors do not respond to a request to OPEN for brake servicing. Or repair or #10 function test. Is there a way to remove the caliper without getting the caliper to OPEN with the scan tool? Like I said the rotor is loose enough to spin. Since I'm replacing the caliper can I just disassemble the caliper and carrier et all to get it off? Can I rebuild this caliper to avoid purchasing a new one? Thanks.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

The issue is that the new pads are a lot thicker and you need to open the caliper scan tool them press the piston in so you can get the caliper to fit on the new pad and rotor setup. I do not know of any rebuild kit for the calipers. Plus Audi do not use any rebuild parts of the brake system. Just new

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you have made progress in repair

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Waiting for the replacement caliper to arrive and install. I'll let you know results after installation. Thanks
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Got it!!