gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW certified technician, Chicago VW/Audi Training Center, Seattle VW/Audi Academy
12249065

01 audi a4 won't shift on and out of gears, I'm assuming its

Customer Question

01 audi a4 won't shift on and out of gears, I'm assuming its the shift lock solenoid, can you help
Category: Audi
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 12 months ago.

So it will not shift out of park? and when you step on the brake, can you hear a "click" in the shifter area? Have someone check and make sure your brake lights come on, the brake switch was a common failure item in that era.

Also, check to see if you can turn the ignition to just short of where the cluster lights up, and see if you can shift at that point. You will have unlocked the manual shift interlock, but not activated the electrical lock solenoid at this point, so should be able to move it into gears.