gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW certified technician, Chicago VW/Audi Training Center, Seattle VW/Audi Academy
12249065

2006 Audi A6 3.2 Avant. Key fob with newly-replaced battery

Customer Question

2006 Audi A6 3.2 Avant. Key fob with newly-replaced battery works (well the front & rear lights light up when the unlock button is pushed), but does not unlock the doors. & The key will not go into the lock. How can I get it to work and/or get into the car? No second key is available.
Category: Audi
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 12 months ago.

Will the remote unlock the trunk? And you say the access key will not physically go into the lock cylinder, or just will not turn it? You may need to spray some WD-40 or similar penetrant into the cylinder, there is a flap at the opening that will sometimes stick, and to free up the cylinder to turn.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Won't unlock trunk. Access key will not physically go all the way into lock cylinder, only about 1/3 way so I don't think the flap is the issue. Will have to search out some Wd-40 to be sure. Any other ideas? It can't be towed because of it being 4-wd & can't be put into neutral (because I can't get into car) so there's a chance transmission will blow if towed.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Wd 40 doesn't help.

OK- what we typically do in these situations in a dealer setting, is to use a small inflatable wedge in the upper rear corner of the door, just enough to get a quarter inch of access so that we can insert a long metal rod with a hook on the end. Pulling the interior door handle will unlock the door for access, and this is likely what a tow truck driver would try in this case as well.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I suppose I have to look for a small inflatable wedge and a long metal rod with a hook. In the past when I locked the key inside, I've had tow truck drivers make me sign a waiver in case they break or cause damage to the window then being unsuccessful at being able to open the door. I had to wait until the spare key could be sent to me. Frustrating to say the least. I realized when I presented you my problem, there was not going to be many options, but I thought there might be a secret Audi trick you knew about. Unfortunately I think I have to have the dealer come out....yikes💰💰💰

We have also just used a thin plastic wedge piece, and slowly insert it until the rod gains enough clearance. Even a wire the thickness of a coat hanger can work, if you can get it through the gap, and be able to pull hard enough on the handle to release it. Normally a tow truck driver may be thinking they can slide a "slim jim" down along the window glass, on Audi/VW product this is not possible as there is metal bracing to block this kind of attack. It sounds like you have had this issue a couple times, normally it is not easy to lock the keys in the car in an Audi as the front door will not lock when it is open- is it possible you have a faulty latch in the front, and that may be causing your issues?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No faulty latch. I threw the keys into the back cargo area with the grocery bags, & had accidentally pushed locked before doing so. Believe me, it can be done. My son ended up doing it as well. Either I will try another tow truck driver to see if he can do it NOT using a slim Jim, or see if I can get the "tools" myself. This is quite the the time suck and costly (tow truck drivers aren't cheap) mistake. If only Audi made it easier. Next time to buy it won't be an Audi, that is a given.