Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Experience:  Senior Audi Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

1994 audi a4 2.8l 6 cylinder. I'm getting "Fuel Inj Circ

Customer Question

1994 audi a4 2.8l 6 cylinder. I'm getting "Fuel Inj Circ Electrical Malfunction" on all 6 cylinders. Please help!
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've changed the coil, crackshaft pos sensor, camshaft pos sensor, fuel pump, fuel pump relay and ICM.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a 1996...not 1994
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

i do need some more info .. i do need a vin # ***** also the 5 digit fault code that is stored in the ecu . thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WAUDA88D6TA073051. I get the following faults: 17609, 17610, 17611, 17612, 17613, 17614, and 17908.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

let me see what i can find on the wiring diagram. so the car does not run correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct. I was basically driving home and lost all power. Car idled for about 2 minutes and then died. Now car cranks but has not fired once.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ok i need you to inspect fuse 34 to see if it is ok and while cranking do you have 12 volts at the fuse. second the fuel pump relay that you have changed is the last one on the right of the relay panel. can you show a pic of the relay panel so to make sure on it and the pic of the relay and part #

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuse 34 is good and I get 12 volts while cranking engine. Yes, the fuel pump relay is the last one on right. Old relay p/n was 8A0 951 253. I replaced with relay 4D0 951 253 (372 on head of relay).
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ok when cranking do you have 12 volts at the injector green/yellow wire?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where exactly will i find this green/yellow wire?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you talking about the harness that splits off and attaches to each fuel injector?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

at the fuel injector plug it self . there are 2 wires green / yellow

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

one wire is green with a yellow stripe. that is the hot wire . use a volt meter and check the voltage at that wire when cranking . it should be battery voltage. DO NOT USE A TEST LIGHT!!!!

let me know!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get around 12v once i turn the key on for about 1 second, then i get around 12v while cranking engine.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ok what happens if you clear the faults do the faults come back after cranking the engine . what happens if you shoot carb spray in the intake and try to start the car does it run and die?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the faults do come back. And when I shot carb spray it acted like it wanted to start but sounded horrible so i stopped.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i used starting fluid, not carb spray. Would that make any difference?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

shoot more and see what happens please. carb spray not as volitile. can you measure the resistance of each injector please . disconnect and measure

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all 6 injectors read 14.5 ohms
i sprayed more carb fluid in and same thing, sounded like it wanted to fire but sound real bad.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

I wonder if timing belt jumped. When it cranks w/o and fluid does it sound normal cranking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there an easy way to check this or will I have to tear the front end off to get to the belt? Ive never messed with timing so this is all new to me.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

The front covers needs to be removed and special lock tools needed to make sure it is time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any idea where i can find these special lock tools. Hopefully there are some good how to videos online.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to check to see if its in time, do i have to remove the bumper, radiator etc to just check it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this what i will need?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

You need the same thing but the one with a hook. You need to take the front to gain access. Service position.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will find the tool and begin prepping the car this weekend. Can you please explain what I need to do once I gain access to the belt?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

please look at proposal. additional service