gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW certified technician, Chicago VW/Audi Training Center, Seattle VW/Audi Academy
12249065

1999 audi a4 2.8L, manual trans: when the key fob batteries

Customer Question

1999 audi a4 2.8L, manual trans: when the key fob batteries died last week we had to use key only AND now, anytime you get in the car or shut off to get out, ALL the windows open. ...WTH???
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PS. New batteries are expected soon. ...I hope that resolves the issue. ...what do you think?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like one of your lock cylinders is sticking- probably because they don't get used often, everyone uses their fob. When you turn the key in the door to open, and hold it, the windows will roll down. If you hold it to lock, then they will roll up. I think when you unlock the door, the cylinder does not fully return, so it may just be on the edge of that switching point. When you unlock it, make sure to return the cylinder to dead center, maybe rock it back slightly to be sure. otherwise it may be a defective door latch, in that case I would suspect the driver door since it is the one you are turning the cylinder on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! I'll try that tomorrow. :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No dice ...and now the key fob is no longer programed to the car so. ...I've got bigger issues. I've already tried all the methods I've found online, short of going to dealer. ...oh, well. ..
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Does your fob have a red LED light that flashes when you push a button? And it isn't flashing on it's own without being pressed is it?

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

I think yours may be too early to have the LED- but I have seen the buttons stick and keep activating door locks constantly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No light. ..AND it was apparently key fob for A3/B5 the dealer sold me back in 2008 so that may make it more difficult to reprogram from forum info for my A4...