sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I had my multi function and ignition switches replaced a

Customer Question

I had my multi function and ignition switches replaced a while back. Since then every once in a while the heating/air console would not work and the light in the dash for the mileage and gear would not be on. With a simple pat of the shroud over the steering column all of this would start working again. Sometimes this would happen more often than not. Lately more and now my car will not shift out of 4th gear. I can still go 60+ but the RPM will be around 3000. I have tried to manual shift but when I slide it over the light in the dash that is supposed to change to 54321 stays on PRND32 and will not activate so that I can shift it myself.
Category: Audi
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if your trans is in limp in. If the trans controller sees an issue that will prevent proper operation or the TCM itself isn't awake then you'll be locked in a single gear.

There are many things that will cause limp in ranging from the TCM itself, a loss of power or ground to it, solenoids, speed sensors, wiring, and internal trans issues.

The first thing that will need to be done is see what fault codes setting. There will either be codes stored in the TCM due to the trans issue or there will be codes stored in other modules related to loss of TCM communication. once fault codes are read then electrical testing will most likely need to be done to determine the actual issue.