Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Got key to lock in, now won't unlock

Customer Question

Got key to lock in, now won't unlock
Category: Audi
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Try to disconnect the car's battery to see if it will release the key.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do i disconnect the battery? The cars already completely dead too
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Oh, if the car is dead then it won't release the key unless you cycle the ignition a couple of times with battery voltage. You will have to replace/recharge the battery or hook up another car as though you are going to jump start it and then turn the key back and forth a couple of times to reset the lock cylinder.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I think the lock cylinder is bad and will need to be replaced. The lock solenoid is stuck (killing the battery) and not locking/unlocking the key like it should.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should i just wait to jumpstart it until i have time to go get it replaced? I just don't like the feeling of having my keys stuck in the ignition
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, I would jump it and then have the ignition replaced. The more you mess with the key with no battery voltage the more likely you will be to damage the key or the ignition.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you decide to tackle the ignition switch on your own. If you do, it will still need to be programmed with a scan tool.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I'm just gonna wait. While attempting to take the key out the battery in the key popped out and disappeared in my car so I'm gonna have to get me a new key battery too. Not gonna risk doing anymore damage. Is that just like standard for the car that if the key is locked in with a dead battery it can't get unlocked? or is that a whole other problem in itself?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

It should unlock when it loses battery voltage, not lock. I think the lock solenoid in the ignition has a problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car was already dead when it locked in. The car was working fine when the battery was charged even though the keys weren't locking in the ignition properly. Then when the car died, I got the keys to lock in now they're stuck. I don't know, its out of my own control now going to have to have a mechanic look at it.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

It might have jarred the lock pin loose at that point.

I hope you get it going again.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please don't forget to rate. They don't pay us if we don't get a positive rating.