peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician with more then 17 years ecperience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

My 06 a6 Quattro has been flooded in the past. I have random

Customer Question

Hi, My 06 a6 Quattro has been flooded in the past.
I have random electrical issues that stop working then start working again. I'm assuming that the solution would be to replace the specified module, however, I'm not sure and don't know which ones if so. For the record I have not seen any indication of rust.
Here is my issue: I drove my car to work, but when i went to leave the car did not start. no lights turned on and the key did not even unlock the car manually. I tried using the fob to unlock the car and got a series of blinking lights on the key fob ( i assumed that, that indicates the key is not synced). Also when i tried to start the car when i turned the key it locked-in as usual but it would not let me pull it out with out pushing in that small release button next to the key hole. I tried to start and unlock the car for 4 days in a row with the same result... absolutely no electrical response anywhere in the car... I might add that it was cold during those days. Today i came to the office on an unusually warm day and the key fob unlocked the car and it started it as well. I do have many service lights on that i need to be addressed, ABS, ESP and Adaptive Headlights are the ones that pop up every time i start the car. Also my power steering is not working, my speedometer sits at 0 mph...but both have stopped working in the passed and started again but this has been the longest stretch of those not working. Also, for the first time, my display counsel has not been working and neither has the buttons associated with it... when I turn it on the start up screen turns on but then it turns off. Therefore I have no Radio, GPS, or CD operation and the buttons associated with those functions. I got this car next to nothing and would like to fix those items, however I do need a car that is reliable enough that i don't have to worry about it not starting for 4 days. Any recommendations on parts or specific suggestions?
Category: Audi
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Low voltage causes this issue here with all of the faults you see.As low voltage is present it causes the various electronics to act up and either work incorrectly or shut down to try and save on power.Cold weather will cause a weak battery to have low voltage or poor battery connections at the battery or to where the batter cables run and connect to to have issues.

I would start with having the battery connections checked to see if any connections are found loose or corroded in any way at the battery as well as to where the connections run including at the fuse panels.If an issue is found it will need repaired.If this is checked and found to be o.k. I would have the battery tested to see if it is weak at all needing replaced as this can be common.If these were already checked into and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you don't think that water damage is playing a role here?

Was the interior of the vehicle actually flooded out and if so how much water or how high did the water get?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not sure how much was flooded i bought it next to nothing after the fact... I check the battery, the connection was a little loose. I tightened it up and checked my instruments. My power steering is still not working, the speedometer is still not working and my MMI and all the buttons associated with the MMI is not working as well. My car is running at this time but i don't want to just wait to find out if it won't start again. what would you look at next?

If there was water inside the vehicle what needs to be looked into is all electronics inside the vehicle to see if any water intrustion had entered.If any water has entered any of the electronics in the vehicle this can cause this issue here and any components that have water damage to the connections or internal will need replaced.I have seen several vehicles flooded in water and usually led to replacing wiring in some cases as well as all control units and electronics in the vehicle that had become water damaged.

Inspect in the trunk area at the comfort control module behind the passenger side paneling and see if this is wet at all or has any corrosion on it or with the electrical connections.If it does then it needs replaced and the wiring may need cleaned or replaced as well.https://www.dropbox.com/s/boxu5fy1rpqe7mh/cc-11-03.gif?dl=0

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will look into that... FYI what does the CCM control?
Im assuming it does not cover the ABS or the ESP.... do you have diagrams on these control modules also?
lastly the power steering... what is that tied too?I know that some of the electronics have been replaced but im not sure which ones... Would it make sense to change just the module and see if its just an easy fix?

The CCM controls several of the electronics in the body of the vehicle as well as is tied into the other computers in the vehicle.Unfortunately I don't have any diagrams of this myself.You might be able to get all the diagram and control unit info as well as electrical info at https://www.alldatadiy.com/.They usually charge a small fee but the fee is usually good for one year.

The power steering on this model is hydraulic and isn't tied into a control unit directly but there are some components that can affect the steering like the steering column control module and steering angle sensor in the column so if these were damaged this can cause issues as well here.With the vehicle being flooded it would be a good idea to get the complete set of wiring diagram and electronics locations for the entire vehicle and the link above is the best place to do this.

Its hard to say if you replaced the CCM if this would resolve all of the issues here.On a flooded vehicle I have had to check all wiring and electronics that were in the flood water area on the vehicle and replace and repair as needed.It can be time consuming in some cases but usually has to be done.

If you need anything else let me know and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any way to test the module to make sure it is working? I don't see any water or rust of any kind... it all looks clean for the CCM...

The best way to check it is with a compatible scan tool that will plug in and communicate with it to check the data signals in and out of it.If there is no water corrosion most likely it is o.k. as the water didn't reach it.Any time water hits an electrical component it causes a white or green corrosion in the electrical connections and inside the control unit and this is how you can tell it was damaged.

I suspect the anti lock brake control module is one for sure needing replaced.The only way to tell if any are water damaged is to inspect all areas the water entered or suspected to enter for any corroded or wet electronics needing replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why would you say the abs module needs replaced?
Also if the CCM is ok what would be causing the MMI to not be working? i know the the display screen was replaced

With the messages you see with the ABS and ESP the anti lock brake control module if damaged by water will cause these lights to come on.If the multi media unit itself has an internal electrical fault possibly due to water intrusion this can cause the MMI to fault.On these newer vehicles if one or more computers/control units are damaged this will cause data fault issues with all other computers to where they can turn on lights on the dash as well as cause odd electrical operation issues in the vehicle.Its difficult to say for sure from here which control module(s) are affected needing replaced without looking over the vehicle at the actual flood damage to see what has water damage and what doesn't.Anything that has water damage will need replaced and if the wiring ended up corroded that was in the water as well the wiring affected will need replaced.

Thanks Pete