Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

I have a 2006 Audi A4 with the 2.0tfsi with a Clucking

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Audi A4 with the 2.0tfsi with a Clucking noise, every body in the web points to the chain tensioner so I take the car to a local repeat shop and have it inspect it, they remove de valve cover, oil pan and vacuum pump but not the timing cover, they said it wasn't necessarily, because they could check the tensioner by removing the vacuum pump
So they realize that previous owner have the major work to the car, it had new cams a new head
Now the car only makes this noise when it warms up, when is cold it runs really quiet It doesn't have any lights in the dash or lost of power
Should I take this guys they word for or should I have some one els look in to it
Category: Audi
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

I would get a second opinion from a different shop. Let them hear the noise when the car is warmed up and at least tell you what they think the sound is and where it is coming from. I would not tell them you already had it checked out and let them decide what the issue is if there is one. If both shops agree it's not a problem, then don't worry. If the second shop agrees with you, then it would be good to have it repaired. If the oil pressure is dropping when the car warms up and it's causing noise, you want to know.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There i no oil pressure drop
An what would be the reason for the noise to be present only after warm up?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

I can think of no other reason for a noise to happen once the engine warms up to be honest. Especially if it were in fact a tensioner that you are hearing. So, if you know there isn't any oil pressure drop, I would have to concur with the original mechanics diagnosis to be honest.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can everything be fine even with the noise at idle
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

It is possible, I can't hear the noise so I can't be sure what the noise is. It is possible there is an external issue. IE power steering pump/ drive belt tensioner or something like that. Part of the reason I would like to see you get a second opinion locally is to rule anything else out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is the link of the video i post online
http://youtu.be/k6PFkUKf5O4
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

That doesn't sound good to me at all. I am not sure I agree with the first mechanic here. It does sound internal, but perhaps a bad wrist pin or connecting rod.

That being said it may also be the air injection pump or the air diverter valve, but I would most certainly get a second opinion as I stated in the beginning from a second shop. Again, don't tell them what you suspect or what the first shop said as that can taint their opinion.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is a wrist pin? And would that throw any codes or bad performance?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

A wrist pin is the part inside the engine that connects the connecting rod to the piston. It may only make noise and not change the way the engine runs at all. It would just allow the piston to hit the cylinder wall and make that slapping/tapping noise you have going on there.

Please, let me know if there is any more I can do to help from here, also, please remember to rate my answer.

Thanks so much!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Noise is definitely coming inside the timing cover
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Noise will definitely travel when you have clattering like that.

I am not really sure what you are trying to get me to say here. I have given you other ideas of what could be happening, I think it could be a lifter possibly, but whomever you took it to is claiming the components you feel are bad, are fine. I personally am not happy with the noise and would want to know where it's coming from if he is so sure it's not the tensioner, did he or was there an explanation of what the noise was?

This is basically why I think you need a second opinion from a separate shop. If it is the tensioner, then it should be replaced, if not, it's my opinion that whatever is making that much noise, needs to be looked into.