Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Experience:  Senior Audi Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

Getting Too Lean Code after major work... also several brake

Customer Question

Getting Too Lean Code after major work... also several brake related codes. Before I start ripping the engine apart, need some direction. ('engine' meaning everything related to vacuum under the hood) - can give details on what work was performed, but replaced turbo, head, valves (major top end rebuild) and most of the plumbing. Now getting codes P1136 (too lean) from ECU, and from the ABS controller, 00810/00812/00814/01435. And the car is running 'wicked' rich; nothing worse than the smell of unleaded gas
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have owned this car since July 2013, with ~110k miles. Someone broke a timing belt, and when I got it major top end work had been accomplished. It ran ok.
* ORIGINAL PROBLEM -> Car had too lean code 17544 (P1136)
Discovered inlet air hose was faulty - had come apart in several places (replaced)
Believed the head gasket failed (had not) due to unexplained oil leak, but replaced with AEB head and rebuilt / replaced. New timing belt, new water pump, new head gasket, etc etc, >180psi each cylinder compression.
Turbo had failed - bearings worn. Cracked exhaust housing. Replaced. Now boosting > 17 psi ref [email protected] Probably need to adjust my wastegate.
In process of repairs, replaced several suspect vacuum lines. Double checked routing. Also replaced several parts in the vacuum assembly, that were suspect. Routing per original.
Not related, replaced all bushings, suspension parts, motor, transmission, dogbone mounts. Car runs like new / straight / true.
Replaced turbo-back exhaust with 42dd 3" street legal including high flow cat. (DID NOT REPLACE O2 sensors, used original)Note that in a previous repair, I had several ABS codes mostly relating to G201 - replaced the ABS unit in its entirety about 10 months ago with a used unit, and it cleared all codes.
The pedal has never felt 'right' - immediately after starting the car, if I start at boost then try to brake, I have no power assist. I also note if I run on the highway with cruise control, I have to stomp on the pedal to get it to stop - no power assist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After top end rebuild and repairs, I will report the idle is much smoother now, but the car is running really rich. Typical MPG ~29, now getting 25, and you can smell it coming down the street. No apparent oil or coolant leaks, so I do not believe I am smelling burning surface oil. No exhaust leaks that I can detect. Certainly had them when I first put the car together and corrected.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

is it the original ecm or is it a new one

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Original ECM. No programming has been done on this ECU
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

you need to check your oxygen sensors if its running that lean then they are more then likely the culprit i would also change your fuel filter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel filter is changed. Good output, running > 80psi @ fuel rail (I have a sensor on it). I will swap out the O2 sensor. How are the ABS codes affected by the O2 sensor?
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

the abs codes are not it is a separate issue im looking up the codes now i will get back to you in a min

Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

the codes are for a faulty brake peddle switch

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just reset codes and replaced o2 pre cat sensor. B1S2 passed already. B1S1 will not pass and after approx 10 miles the 17544 code is back. Also the catalytic converter Will not pass readiness. It did before and is a new unit in April. Oem, not cheap eBay.I replaced brake pedal switch. Operation and codes unchanged and will not clear.What now
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Hello there I'm Wolfgang. Do you have vag com scan tool? Please let me know. It is needed to perform some vacuum checks. Also what year and model Audi you have? Thanks