gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW certified technician, Chicago VW/Audi Training Center, Seattle VW/Audi Academy
12249065

Driving home tonight and pulled out into traffic. Car has

Customer Question

Driving home tonight and pulled out into traffic. Car has zero power 2000 Audi TT 1.8. Check engine light came on and turbo feels as if it's not working at all. No miss fire felt. Seems to be running normal just without any boost. Turbo is not that old replaced 7,000 miles ago. First problem since replacement. Has a cold air intake on it since I purchased it. Upon raising the hood a moment ago I noticed the small plastic line that branches off of the intake tube well before entry to the turbo/intake was disconnected and the cheap plastic clamp broken. Instantly thought awe that's the problem. Reconnected it with a piece of rubber and hose clamp. Temp fix just to see. Test drove car and symptoms unchanged. Almost seems as if it's miss firing at low rpm, but when the throttle is held constant there is not a skip or miss whatsoever. Runs smooth other than now it seems as if the exaust is rattling a bit now. Just no power and check engine light. All gauges and readings normal. Plan in the morning is to borrow a scanner and get the codes. No oil leaks, no sounds as if the bearing is going bad in the turbo. I can tell you the waist gate is not working because you normally hear it, but of course it's not because the turbo is not functioning. Any suggestions on where to start in the morning when it's light and of course after I get the codes.
Category: Audi
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

With the symptom of "feeling like a misfire at low rpm" it sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere- which would prevent your wastegate from being activated, since the diaphragm lever is moved by vacuum.

I would guess it is likely your turbo bypass valve, take the little vacuum line of the top of it and apply a hand vacuum and see if it is able to pull an hold vacuum.

And let me know what you find for codes.