AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

I have a 2002 Quatro with 1.8t motor that will not start.

Customer Question

Category: Audi
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Have you scanned the ECM for faults? Have you checked to see if you have fuel pressure at the rail? Do you have spark at the plugs? Does your check engine light come on when you turn the key on (self check)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
50psi at rail, spark is good, code P0340, timing marks for belt and cam Chain are right on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New fuel pump,new fuel filter,new cam sensor,new crank sensor,new MAP sensor, and new plugs. Also have 5volts at cam sensor and pulse is good from sensor.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

The fault is for cam timing- which compares the crank sensor to the sensor on the intake camshaft. The timing belt drives between the crankshaft and the EXHAUST camshaft, and the intake camshaft is driven by a chain drive between the two cams, with a hydraulic tensioner in between. It's possible the tensioner has collapsed and is throwing the timing pulse off slightly, giving you the spark at the wrong time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chain and tension are tight 16 links from sprocket to sprocket.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Timing marks on cams are lined up with arrows.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

So let's back up- what was the initial problem with this car, because it seems like you replaced a LOT of stuff, and while all of it could be related to not starting, they are not all related to the cam sensor fault that you have (ie, fuel pump and filter, MAF, etc)

Are you checking the timing belt using the mark on the crank damper pulley? Have you tried checking using the port on the transmission to double check that the crank damper pulley is on correct.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car was driving and got laggy before completely dying. ( poor acceleration.) yes I am using dampener pulley timing mark. MAP sensor replaced because of corrosion build up on sensor. Fuel pump and filter replaced because of excessive whining even before car dyed. Whining is now gone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Piston is at TDC when crank dampener pulley is on mark.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

SO the issue is that you still are getting the cam sensor code though, despite getting a signal per your testing. Try disconnecting the battery, touching the cable terminals together to reset all the modules, and reconnect the battery again., see if you are able to clear the fault (it may be "burned" into the memory) Try holding the cables for a minute or more (or clamping them together)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have also tried that as well as resetting code per OBDII
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked for the cam signal all the way at the ECM? Because with everything eliminated, you either have a wiring issue on the signal wire, or you have a bad ECM.