gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW certified technician, Chicago VW/Audi Training Center, Seattle VW/Audi Academy
12249065

Whining noise while driving in 2013 Audi A4 Quattro, brand

Customer Question

Whining noise while driving in 2013 Audi A4 Quattro, brand new tires alignment and balancing performed, noise still persists.
Could it be a transmission bearing issue, wheels bearings are fine too.
Category: Audi
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Is this being worked on at the dealership level? Dealerships (and most large independent shops) should have a ChassisEar, which allows them to attach piezo-electric microphone pickups to areas that are suspected of making noise, and driving, being able to switch between pickups at will to test all areas.

I'm assuming the "quick and dirty" tests have been done for the bearings, like taking it out and driving it and swerving left and right to weight and unweight the left and right front bearings (and done sharply, can be used to diagnose the rears as well)?

Does the sound stay with you when you shift into neutral? Is it more prevalent when accelerating, decelerating, or does it stay constant just based on speed? Is it road speed related or engine speed related? Does downshifting while in gear change the sound?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stays constant all the time, clearly heard when foot off the gas pedal.
Yes, it's been diagnosed by Audi dealership and told car is just fine, but it is not.
Appreciate any suggestions.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Were all of the "fixes" done in by the dealership, in order to fix this? And were you charged for the adjustments, or did they cover them under warranty? Because if they DID, then they have already admitted that there is an issue- it's why we are not allowed to write "no problem found" on an RO, because that implies that there IS a problem, just that we did not find it. Understand what I mean? I would call Audi of North America at one eight hundred eight two two AUDI and ask for this to be escalated to a regional QC- that will get it taken care of. I have 13 years of dealing with VW/Audi warranty and know how this works.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try reaching one eight hundred, and see what they can do to fix this, otherwise for whining noise what are the potential issues to keep in mind, and specially to mention Audi what my problem is.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

In previous years, there were some issues with whining differentials, and the fluid was changed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My car only has 20k Mike's on it, usually how much does it cost ? Or does my warranty covers this type of issues??
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

normally fluid is a "maintenance" item and wouldn't be covered by warranty- but if they have done other work on the car to try to mitigate this noise, then they have already acknowledged that there is a problem, even if they have not been able to fix it. So they need to keep trying. Did you contact the corporate line?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Showroom recommended me to get new set of tires and balancing, got 4 new michelins and balancing was done, that wasn't the issue, showroom didn't admit there was some issue, they mentioned everything was fine.1 transmission
2 cv joints
3 wheel bearings
4 differential
5 ??Please let me know the check list, I am going to reach out to them.Thanks
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

I would be furious that given what should be a warranty issue, they get you to pay for tires you don't need instead. I would insist on having a regional QC rep come out and take a look at it, and go for a drive in another car of the same type to compare. I swear, Audi has terrible customer service compared to VW, and they are the same company!