Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

The ac on my q5 just stopped working

Customer Question

the ac on my q5 just stopped working
Category: Audi
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Normal
0
false
false
false
EN-US
X-NONE
X-NONE
MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hello

1st thing to check is that the AC rad / condenser is clear of any debris and there's nothing in front of the air flow to it, next ensure that the AC pump drive belt isn't slipping and if any doubt replace it.

Also check that if there's a pollen filter to the cabin air inlet that this is clean and free flowing

Next you can test components simply by checking the temperatures by touching them with the system running. with the engine at operating temperature and the AC turned on it should be as follows:

A hot compressor / pump

A hot high pressure refrigerant line from the compressor to the condenser

A hot condenser on the inlet

A warm condenser on the outlet

A warm liquid line from the condenser to the evaporator (before the expansion valve or orifice tube)

A cold evaporator outlet line

A cold low pressure refrigerant line to the compressor

If you get a different result from the above then suspect a blockage in the line or the component whose temperature is abnormal, this can be confirmed with a pressure test

Then if you're happy the temperature control is OK ( does it do hot as well as cold?) I'd take the car to an garage that can read the pressure levels of the system so the level of gas can be checked hopefully all it needs is a re-gas

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was working absolutely fine, I think it is related to something with the computer. we might have pressed a button or did something. I tried the manual and it says go to the CAR menu and pick AC, but AC does not appear in my car menu. It is as if we had turned the fans off somehow. I don't think it's a blockage or malfunction. have you had this before?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Ok this sounds like you may have just turned it all off

do you have the all touch screen option or does the car still have some buttons on the console

if its got buttons the try turning the air position to the screen and the heat selector to maximum ( the defrost setting) to try and force it into using the AC

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still have some buttons, I had done the exact opposite, tried it into the lowest temperature possible, but it did not work. will try the maximum heat and see if it works.
the weird thing is that it's like it's disconnected. It does not even make a sound... might the computer reset itself?
many thanks
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello

its possible that the body control / climate module is having a bit of a 'moment' if none of the methods work I'd suggest disconnecting the battery for aboiut 5 minutes to reset the car and have the car keys in your hand when you re-attach the lead as the alarm can sometimes sound

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpfulplease rate my answer.