Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Experience:  Senior Audi Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

3.2 won't start sometimes, becoming more feq 3.2 won't start

Customer Question

3.2 won't start sometimes, becoming more feq
3.2 won't start sometimes. Only code is left right ultra sonic sensor.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

can you elaborate no start. does it crank and does not run , no crank at all? any flashing lights or messages on the dash?

please let me know

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, it does crank in this condition. Just won't fire up. No rhyme or reason. A few times, it will go after a minute. I have cycled locks, transmission that have worked may/may not be related. After clearing codes and running into this again, only codes present are the 2 I mentioned...along with a common adaptive headlight if had for a while. Car is generally well maintained 120 k on the odo. I thought about crank position sensor but wanted some expert advice. I may have seen a EPC light on dash one time. With the way it acts and codes, really leaning toward alarm item being culprit, unless you have something more commonly seen. Thanks in advance, Rob.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery has audi part number. It may be original, which would be really old. But car doesn't drag when it won't start. Car exit it's no run idle drive power issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car exhibits no idle, power, drive, shifting issues. Thanks
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

What scan tool are you using?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a $125 vag tool off ebay. The 2 codes are showing sporadic short.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Ok does the check engine light come on when you turn on the ignition?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once car is running, no check engine light. Seems like it has always come on during crank sequence.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

just when you turn the ignition on no crank so you get a check engine light on ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe that is correct.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

because i ask that if the check engine light does not come on then tells me that the engine computer is not getting power and the engine will not run. you have an intermittent issue so when it acts up is the time to really check if that light comes on in the dash!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Will look for that. I have not had the no start issue for about 20 starts in a row now. I will have my wife watch for the check engine light as well and respond with results. Thanks Wolfgang.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

my pleasure!!!