peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician with more then 17 years ecperience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

Arced battery + Now missing test lights and other functions

Customer Question

Arced battery b+ Now missing test lights and other functions in gauge cluster In gauge cluster..No cel, turn, power top, cruise, lights on, buzzers and gongs, temp and fuel gauges work, center display says" low oil pressure " not true and " press clutch
to start..I HACE A CVT AUTO !! Navigation and dash lights inop But.. Headlight, tail, brights, door, seat, radio, windows DO WORK VCDS says instruments fault.. signal implausible, can't even open nav, too many errors Test of gauges with vcds and all needles
and lights work!! I am all ears, can send vcds logs to you
Category: Audi
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here this sounds like the instrument cluster itself is at fault.I have seen shorts and in some cases even voltage surges cause failure of the instrument cluster as well as other electronic control units.In this case it looks like your instrument cluster was damaged internally electronically needing either removed and repaired or replaced.The CAN communication lines and the telematics and Nav functions all run through the instrument cluster electronics.

You can try and reset it by locating and removing the fuses that feed voltage to the cluster for about 5 minutes then reinstall them and see if this works but I suspect it will need repaired or replaced.I had one case where battery arced and it had damaged 8 control units/ecu's and they had to be replaced so unfortunately with the electronics in these anymore any short like this tends to damage the control units.This sounds isolated to your instrument cluster here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I use vcds test, all lights and gauges sweep and illuminate.
But, you are saying that the cluster " board" could still be fried and not communicating with tach , speedo, nav etc ?? Which pin supplies power to cluster ? I think 15 but am getting no power at the green 32 pin plug on 15, is this the correct one to check for 2003 A4 B6 cabriolet ?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also power top inop, vcds says I am going 158 mph( I am at idle , not moving ) so that would make sense. That is last recorded mph from speedo analog test.

If your VCDC says your going 158 the roof will not operate in fear of damaging the top if it thinks your at this speed.Most all newer models are set up to where the top will only operate in park or at a very low speed usually less then 5 m.p.h.

I don't show a complete diagram on this myself but here is what I do have so you can check signals.This does sound like the cluster is causing this needing repaired or replaced.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bxrixhdyiteuk0x/ic-10-16-15.gif?dl=0

1 - Low washer fluid level 2 - Low coolant level 3 - Fuel gauge sensor sensor 4 - Coolant temperature 5 - Push button circuit 2, navigation 6 - Push button circuit 3, navigation 7 - Push button circuit, Telematics 8 - Menu switch 9 - Not assigned 10 - Hood switch 11 - Fuel gauge sensor 2 (Quattro) 12 - Menu selection switch (out A) 13 - Not assigned 14 - Not assigned 15 - Not assigned 16 - FDR/ASR (= ESP) 17 - CAN comfort high 18 - CAN comfort low 19 - CAN Infotainment low 20 - CAN Infotainment high 21 - Outside temperature -input 22 - S-contact 23 - Oil level/oil temperature 24 - Level control 25 - Menu switch (Enter) 26 - Not assigned 27 - Not assigned 28 - Menu switch (out B) 29 - Not assigned 30 - Transponder 2 31 - Transponder 1 32 - Terminal 31 (sensor)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dcv1tiuvbk94c8u/ICS-10-16-15.gif?dl=0

1 - Terminal 58d 2 - Terminal 30 3 - Terminal 15 4 - Not assigned 5 - Speedometer input 6 - Speedometer output 2 7 - Airbag inverse 8 - Right turn signal 9 - Low brake fluid level 10 - Left turn signal 11 - Trailer turn signal 12 - CAN powertrain low 13 - CAN powertrain high 14 - Terminal 61/charge indicator 15 - Not assigned 16 - Oil pressure 2 17 - Terminal 58s 18 - Terminal 31 load 19 - Terminal 31 load 20 - Not assigned 21 - Speedometer output 1 22 - ABS warning 23 - K-wire 24 - CAN powertrain screen 25 - Tank cap switch 26 - CAN-Diagnostic low 27 - CAN-Diagnostic screen 28 - CAN-Diagnostic high 29 - Automatic vertical headlight aim control system 30 - Belt buckle 31 - Outside buzzer 32 - Brake pad wear

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have run the gauge cluster through a self test with my V CDS. All analog gauges lights signals everything works. So I don't think it's the cluster. Where does the cluster get its signal for the CEL, turn signal, cruise control, power top, highbeam light,? Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have also checked all of the fuses and relays, and inspected the wires, the wiring diagrams are not very clear so I have been struggling with those.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really don't want to buy a cluster if that's not what the problem is. That could be a very expensive mistake
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete, you still there ???

I apologize for the delay as I was off line this last weekend.

The signals look to come from the Central control module.This control module is tied into the roof operation as well as the cluster operation.Since you do have all lights and functions on the cluster when you do the testing with the scan tool and they do operate properly the central control module is most likely at fault and isn't controlling these components properly on the instrument cluster or allowing the roof to operate properly.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This the fault I get from instrument cluster : 00576 - Terminal 15
27-00 - Implausible SignalThe baffling thing is my Central electric module does not recognize my Vin number. But when I go into the module it shows my Vin number in the module and I can see the Vin number from the car?
Additionally, for whatever reason I cannot make a connection to my navigFault in central electric module 9
01794: control module- incorrect chassis vin number
35-00--I was going to swap in a used central electric control module
This is under the dash correct ?
I will need to code with vcds, correct ?

This does sound like a fault with the central electric control module.

This looks to be under the drivers side door sill area as seen as #10 below.And #2 in the second link.It will need coded/programmed by a dealer or authorized repair center before it will operate properly after it is replaced.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kfg8ba6v2srxbog/cent-10-19.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jgahirfsgom7h2s/cental-10-19.gif?dl=0

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete, that is the comfort control module that's under the floorboard, the Central electric control module is under the dashboard. Please confirm that you are referring to the central electric control module that is under the dashboard? I believe the comfort control module controls more of just interior lighting door locks switches things of that nature. Correct?

You are correct and I apologize for that.When I punched in the central control module that's what was brought up for some reason and I didn't look at it to well but looking at my info on it that is the wrong one.My info unfortunately isn't showing me a location for the central control module but it should be located under the dash board area.A little early for me still I guess I need more coffee.I apologize for that.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Switched control module , but same result, why won't it let me enter the pin in my vag com to change adaptations?
Keep getting " wrong vin " error in central electric module and " terminal 15 implausible signal"
Why is that ??

Terminal 15 is an ignition circuit missing usually.Did you double check to see if any fuses are blown at all since the replacement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll triple check

O.k.,let me know if you find any issues.

My info and from what I have gathered doesn't tell me this needs to be replaced with a new one and a used one should be able to be used and programmed to your model.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced with used and reprogrammed, same result, did not fix problem

If you can test the voltage signals to the control module and see if you are missing any voltage signals.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This where I am getting lost, I do have a wiring diagram but they are so difficult to read. Can you tell me specifically which pin, signal or color wire I should be checking going into the gauge cluster and or the central electric control module?. I think I can chase wires down, I just don't know where to start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a WD that shows all wires, in loom(s) real time that I can follow ?

Unfortunately my info is not showing any diagrams on these here.Above I did post the info on the terminals in the connector for the instrument cluster to check for power and ground issues but my info isn't showing me this or any diagrams for the central control module.If you want i can open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete