Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

2000 A6 2.7 T was modified at dealer and has 2 additional

Customer Question

2000 A6 2.7 T was modified at dealer and has 2 additional turbo boosts I can turn on manually via a device mounted next to steering column. Problem is I get a choking off noise when I stand on it, and it may be MAF sensor, but when I disconnected that, it still chokes off. Any ideas? Do I need a special MAF sensor or is there some other issue that is keeping the correct air/fuel mixture from happening?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. Are these mod parts AUDI or aftermarket and if aftermarket, what brand are the additional turbo boosts.

Do you have a scan tool that records live data that you can upload the short and long term fuel trim as well as the O2 sensor readings.

Also if you do, let me know if the O2 sensors are switch between lean and rich or stuck on rich or lean

Please remember that I am not there to test it and therefore rely on you to provide as much detail as possible. And I will say that this will need some testing and an advanced scan tool is going to be needed to get to the bottom of this to find the underlying issue.

Any time you had something that alters factory specs and/or engineering, especially in engine management, other tweaks are usually required as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks like aftermarket. Control unit is GReddy PRofec-B and has LO and hi boosts with min/max settings on each one, as well as a balance setting. I don't have the tool to do the analysis. Ordered new MAF sensor since fault code for that.What is a reasonable cost for an analysis at a shop?Thanks.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Because mods are involved, it will likely be 1 to 2 hours diagnostic time, which depending upon a shop's hourly labor rate will be from $80 to $200 for this.

Ok, let me see if I have the specs sheet and schematics for the GReddy Profec-B setup

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Let me know what u find.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Sorry, I dont have the needed schematics on this GReddy. I will need to opt out and see if another expert does

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks Eric.
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Still need help with your issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just got a new MAF and going to put that in to see if that does it and let you know. Thanks.

Good. I tend to agree with you in that the MAF or its circuit must be the problem since all the GReddy Profec-B does is control turbo boost by holding the waste closed for a little bit longer than factory specs.

Please let me know how you make out.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure will. Thanks for quick response.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok put in a new Bosch MAF today and while it's significantly better it has gone from totally choking off to sputtering when I goose it. Sounds like it's starved for enough fuel, air or both. When I stay on the gas while it sputters, the check engine light starts blinking. Normally it just stays lit. Not sure if that's a clue of some sort.Any ideas? Fuel injectors? I'm at a loss. Maybe need to put it on a diagnostic to see what's up?Thanks, Juan.

The blinking check engine light is a sign of a class A misfire. It means catalytic failure is imminent due to raw fuel being dumped on it. At this point, a diagnostic scan tool is recommended so it can tell us what the codes are and what is causing them. If this has been happening, I would also recommend checking exhaust system back pressure to rule out a restriction, plus checking fuel pressure to see if it's more than 50 psi at idle.

Please let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the great feedback. What type of shop would you recommend? Certainly don't want to go to dealer but clearly need someone who knows what they are doing. I live in northern virginia.Thanks again, Juan.

Eurowerks in Falls Church has a good reputation. They're at 531 N Washington St; their phone is(###) ###-####/p>

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great. Thanks again. Hope it's not a big problem!

As I do as well.

Best Regards.

Hi again. Just checking to see if the information I provided helped you solve your issue. If it did, then kindly accept and rate my answer now. If it didn't, please reply.

Best Regards.