Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

Just bought an 09 a4 and the second time I tried the top

Customer Question

Just bought an 09 a4 and the second time I tried the top won't go down. It unlocks and moves an inch or so and stops
Category: Audi
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

This is either one of the several microswitches that has failed, the control module, the motor, or the main switch. The first step is having the body control ecu scanned for fault codes which will tell us the area of concern. Then at that point the proper troubleshooting steps can be taken to determine if the component has failed or if there is a wiring or hydraulic issue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to go to an Audi dealer to get the scan?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

Unless you have an independent European specialist shop near you that will have the needed scan tool, then yes, you will need to go to either an Audi or VW dealer. Since they are owned by the same company and share technology, VW dealers will have the needed scan tool and knowledge for the repairs

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks