Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

I had a 2011 Audi Q5 remotely inspected and they came back

Customer Question

Hey I had a 2011 Audi Q5 remotely inspected and they came back with this info. What should I do? Engine started right up-idled smooth. test drove 3.3 miles.Note:There is a pronounced engine/drivetrain sound(grinding) which is felt in shifter handle. This Sound/sensation is reproducible while driving (city-highway speeds) with light to moderate acceleration. sound goes away when throttle is lifted/coasting. Vehicle did not pull while accelerating/braking. brakes felt good-no grabbing, no uncharacteristic sounds when braking. Steering is smooth.
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called the local Audi Service Department and described the issue. The Service Manager said that in general they get a lot of questions about the sound of the Audi engine. He said that with that limited info he had no idea and it might even be possible that there were no issues associated with that sound.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the remote inspector call me so I can discuss with him exactly what he heard.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

That engine package is a little louder than some comparable vehicles but the fact he/she can feel it is concerning. It is possible since it goes away on coast that it is a loose or failed engine mount allowing the engine vibration to transfer into the chassis/shifter. If you are serious about this vehicle I would probably have a service facility look it over on a lift, check all fluids, and investigate the noise further. Since the inspector is limited to ground inspection and test drive only. If it is a mount, it might be fairly apparent on a lift.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I spoke with the inspector and he further clarified that it happens under load from about 15 mph to 35 mph while accelerating. Coasting and speeds outside this range do not recreate the issue.Does that change anything?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Different expert here

I suspect that this is in the drivetrain, possibly a transmission gear issue. I know this can be a pain, but can you ask the remote inspector to retest drive and when it is making the noise, to shift it to neutral and see if the noise immediately disappears or not.