gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW certified technician, Chicago VW/Audi Training Center, Seattle VW/Audi Academy
12249065

My 06 A4 recently has not been able to stay in "S" mode, the

Customer Question

My 06 A4 recently has not been able to stay in "S" mode, the gear shift will go into that gear but not stay there
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Any indication that there are faults stored (check engine light on?)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No CEL
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car runs and drives just as before thus began
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Is the problem with Sport mode, or are you trying to use the Tiptronic gate to manually shift? The Sport mode just holds shifts longer, allowing you to rev higher before upshifting, but makes for slightly harsher shifts. Is this the mode you are trying to use?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sport mode, I ised to be able to move the gear shift into sport mode and it would stay there now it doesnt.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to shift into the Tiptronic gate as well, and use the + and - to shift up and down? I have seen a lot of issues where foreign material (or spilled soda) gets into the protective plastic shields that slide with the shifter, and stick, causing shifting issues or even damage to the Tiptronic gate magnets. If there are sticking issues, you will have to remove the center console around the shifter in order to remove and either clean or replace the shifter cover piece, depending on situation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tiptronic works fine, I use it each time I drive.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

So it is able to stay in place in the Tiptronic, but in the Sport it drops back to Drive? I would watch the trim rubber strip for any sign of binding when you drive next, but worst case scenario is that you may have to change out the shifter assembly (the part in the car, not the cables or the transmission) It has detent built into it which may be worn, especially if you always use it in S or Tip.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hardly ever drive in sport. How difficult is it to change out the shifter assembly?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

So it will stay in position in the Tiptronic gate? It's not necessarily difficult to replace the shifter, more a matter of disassembling the cent r console and being able to refit it smoothly- which can be kind of fiddly. The shifter unbolts and the cable disconnects from it easily enough.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stays in tiptronic just fine, sport mode is straight back from park and it will not stay on that mode
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

If you never drive in Sport, why does it matter? If it will stay in the normal drive position, or Tiptronic which you prefer- but I understand about having a system that SHOULD work and does not. It's up to you to make the decision on whether it is worth fixing or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is worth fixing but first I need to know what I need to fix, hence the reason for contacting you.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it would be the shifter assembly.