peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician with more then 17 years ecperience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

My son has a 2004 Audi A4 Quattro. I'm having trouble

Customer Question

Hi, My son has a 2004 Audi A4 Quattro. I'm having trouble connecting a scan tool to read codes. I have connected to read codes in the past but was a bit flakey, sometimes could connect other times had to unplug and try several times. Now I can't connect at all, have a stock radio and did check voltage on Kline so that does not seem to be it as may people find. I do have power to the scanner .... don't know what to try next?
Category: Audi
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Inspect the data link connector in the vehicle to see if any wiring is damaged or any terminals in the data link connector are damaged possibly spread open to far causing poor contact for the scan tool to plug into and connect to the vehicle.If an issue is found it will need repaired.If this is or was checked and all found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Pete,
Thanks for your reply. After inspecting the port, there are no obvious indications that it is the problem. Is there a way I can test the port with a multimeter to narrow down the issue ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete, I guess I don't have a lot of patience .... I saw a video on checking proper power and voltage to the port and everything checked out OK. After playing with my code reader, I realized that I could connect to certain modules such as ABS, steering and some other convenience ones and even could clear service/oil chg fine.However, for some reason I can't connect to the most important one '01 engine' or 'airbags' either.... strange because I definitely was able to connect to engine a few months back and read all codes without issue..... any idea what could prevent me from getting to the engine module to read codes ? seems to connect to ecu for others ok. Thanks

O.k.,this can be due to a fault within the engine computer itself with it being faulty needing replaced or an issue with the wiring leading to this computer with the wiring being damaged needing repaired.If you have not had the wiring and connections checked this needs done and if found to be o.k. this can be the engine computer itself at fault needing replaced.

Thanks Pete