peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician with more then 17 years ecperience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

Searching "Safe" mode comes up. My 2005 A6 C6 is at the

Customer Question

Searching for reason "Safe" mode comes up. My 2005 A6 C6 is at the dealer and they are readapting each module because they could not find what is causing all the fault codes. I have had the steering control module changed before but they say it is not the steering control module that is causing the problem. They are also perplexed
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car would not recognize my key fob so could not unlock doors with the remote. Could not start the car. When I put the key in the ignition it would not allow the car to start and would not allow me to take the key out of the ignition.
So the dealer is re-adapting each and every module on the car. They tell me it is not the control module that is fastened with non removable screws on the steering column. I thought that was the cause as the car behaves just like the last 2 times I had to replace the steering column because of a bad J45 module. The battery in the car is only 1 year old.
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In allot of cases I find this type of fault here can be caused by a weak battery itself or an issue with loose or corroded battery cables needing repaired or replaced.I have also seen issues with the electronic ignition switch as the cause as well needing replaced.If these have not been checked into at all this should be done to see if any of these are the cause here needing corrected.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These were all checked. All battery and cables are in top condition and battery is 1 year old and 100%
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know ow if I will not be getting any other support.Thanks

O.k.,if they haven't checked to see if they can communicate with all computers with their scan tool/computer plugged into your vehicle this should be done.In some cases they can check and see if a control module isn't communicating and this can be the control module at fault causing a data fault between the computers causing this issue here.Usually this is the control module needing replaced.

The other option they can do is to contact their tech support as sometimes their tech support will have info on similar cases they have logged on file that may be causing this issue that can help diagnose this fault as well.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car was at the dealership so yes they did hook up the computer and communicated with all the modules. Many trouble codes had to be cleared.The tech adapted each and every module in the car.He also went back to the ssp reports.

I apologize for the delay.

Did any fault codes reset/come back at all again?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The j518 access/start control module did not put out a fault code. Just to mention this steering column has been replaced twice now in last 2 years because in the past the J518 module did show fault codes.I got the car from the dealership on Saturday after all codes were cleared. The car was driven 5 minutes to a mall. When I came back to the car with key fob in my pocket I was able to open the trunk as the key fob was recognized.
When I shut the trunk and went to the driver door it would not unlock. Same problem again car did not recognize the key fob.
Tech told me to disconnect the battery in the trunk area. I then hooked a wire joining the negative and positive leads of the car. This apparently resets the cars computer.
After
Waiting 5 minutes I reattached the battery aND car started up as it should by using the start button on the console.
The system recognized the key fob.I drove the car back to dealer to tell me if any trouble codes have come up. I will find out tomorrow when the dealership opens for business.The tech also mentioned last week that the wire from the starter relay to the J518 module has been disconnected as recommended in the Technical service bulletin #2012483/5Thanks for any help you can provide.

Your welcome.

Let me know if any codes came back or set in any computer again when your ready.

Thanks Pete