gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW certified technician, Chicago VW/Audi Training Center, Seattle VW/Audi Academy
12249065

My 2009 Audi emission control light just went on after a

Customer Question

Hi Im Jeff. My 2009 Audi emission control light just went on after a basic service. Is this critical to check immediately? I cant get in the shop right now.
Category: Audi
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Check to make sure your oil cap and your oil dipstick are fully seated- if not they can throw a leak fault.

If the CEL is flashing, then that means you have misfires occurring, which is bad. But just being on is not necessarily going to cause a problem.

If necessary, many of the large chain parts stores like Autozone will read faults for FREE (and may clear them if you hint that you would like that to happen, or tell them you'd like to clear them and see if they come back before buying any parts.

if there are any questions about faults if you have them read, post them up in this question thread and we can figure out what is causing the CEL

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gomi
I did what you suggested. The light is still on. I adjusted the gas cap twice, to check the seal. I am not sure what else to do. The oil cap and stick are secure. The weather here has been hot. That is all I can say as to "new" conditons. There is nothing visibly wrong with performance of the car or excessive emissions. Just the light. What do you suggest. I can go to Autozone this week.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, with VW and Audi, the faults don't clear on their own when you fix the issue- you have to clear the faults with a scan tool, and if they are still present on a test they will fail and set the light off again.