gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW certified technician, Chicago VW/Audi Training Center, Seattle VW/Audi Academy
12249065

I have a 2010 S5 and it has become difficult to shift gears.

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2010 S5 and it has become difficult to shift gears. I have to force into first gear. Clutch is pressed all the way and it still hard to shift.
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Can you shift through the gears with the engine not running? It sounds to me like your clutch is worn put.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's also difficult. It's about the same or slightly easier to shift through the gears with engine off.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

So if you put it in a gear, depress the clutch and start it, does it feel like it is dragging, like the clutch is not fully released? Does it drive OK once you are moving? Have you tried powershifting it while driving, without using the clutch (matching rpms and sliding it into gear)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tested the scenario about engine on versus off. Cold engine, gears shifts smoothly for about 30 minutes. Gears shift smoothly with engine off, whether hot or cold. After about 30 minutes of driving, it's hard to throw in reverse or first and less harder in other gears. However, once in gear, car drivers well and doesn't appear to slip. The clutch engages fairly soon after I start to release the clutch. I think that may mean that there is still some meat on the clutch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Do you drive with your foot resting on the clutch pedal, ready to shift?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, left foot is usually on static foot pedal. Usually foot is only on clutch when shifting.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked the oil level in the gearbox? I can't imagine that a 5 year old car has a leak, but the time issue seems to indicate that something is warming up to the point where tolerances get tight or something similar.