Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Took my son to look at s first car, used Audi A6 Quattro

Customer Question

Took my son to look at his first car, used Audi A6 Quattro 2.7T. Did carfax with 2 owners, the original having vehicle for 95 percent of miles with routine maintenance done consistently. New owner had for 250 miles and now selling. Asked owner why they were selling and they told me the car was for daughter and she thought it was old persons car. Test drove car (acceleration...let off then on again for hesitation...none, A/C on, lights work, steers good, pick-up very responsive, etc.) and no issues detected. It is a 2003 with 125000 miles. Talk down seller to 4500 for car. Drive home and A/C shuts down...won't turn on. Stop at 7-11 to get gas for jeep, get ready to leave and Audi won't come out of park. Notice the instrument panel isn't working either...maybe we overlooked that and they cut it to hide what it was displaying...not sure. Try everything to put car in drive. Call seller and they say they never experienced any of these problems, but you can slam it in drive by forcing the magnets to release... I didn't want to damage transmission so I did not try that. I went on youtube and found a video showing how you can put the car in N without letting it click, and then pull it in drive. That worked and we got the car home. Not sure what to do next. We inspected the car further and the transmission fluid is a grayish color, there is a clear leak, small amount under car that is clear (guessing brake or transmission) and a wire that is cut in glove box. I feel responsible because I looked at the car for my son, but told him he would have to make the decision because he is paying for vehicle. He trusted me and I did everything I could to minimize risk, but now it seems like a lemon. There is no reports in carfax about issued and the car was just service 200 miles ago. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Chris (aka - Moose) replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.

Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.

I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.

If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central.

Thanks Chris

Are you able to do electrical testing?

Do the brake lights work when pressed

Des the HVAC still work, all functions but the compreesor?

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris