Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Audi A4 Avant Quattro: I Have an 2006 A4 2.0t (197K) ... Check

Customer Question

I Have an 2006 A4 2.0t (197K) ... Check engine light came on today while driving home, still drove 25 miles home. Upon checking the fault button, it flashes a coolant icon and then an oil pressure icon, but that's it. Coolant is a bit low, but still in the middle of low/hi as far as I can tell. Oil is full. Runs a bit clicky at idle.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. Does the check engine light flash? How does vehicle run? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dan,
The vehicle runs great. The light does not flash. It just stayed on when the car was running. I checked the fault button and it displays on the console 1. yellow coolant icon, 2. Oil pressure icon, for a couple seconds. I decided to try a tip from a friend and top off the coolant overflow with distilled water. I used no more than a few ounces to just above the middle of low/high and the light went away. I am still concerned that there was an Oil pressure warning after the Coolant warning, as if 1 could trigger the other? Also, I've read online about "oil sludge" issues with the 2.0T motor of this vintage. Perhaps you can clarify some of this for me. I am the second owner and, as far as I was told, it has had regular maintenance. thanks, Patrick
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you probably have a emission problem which would turn on check engine light without any symptoms. Only use VW coolant, do not add water. The oil sludge issue can cause the oil pressure light to flash but there isn't one thing that would cause both lights. I'd start by dealing with the check engine light by checking codes at your local parts store. Let me know how it goes, thanks.