Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Experience:  Senior Audi Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

Audi Q7: I have a Q7 2007 3.6 L V6. It is giving me a squealing

Customer Question

I have a Q7 2007 3.6 L V6. It is giving me a squealing sound from the rear had of the car. The rear rotors and pads have been changed. but it is still giving a shrill squealing sound. It goes away when I bring the car to complete stop and pump the brakes. It comes back after i made a turn or hit a pot hole. It keeps increasing in frequency as i drive faster and comes less when i slow down. It is there some days and not on the others. Please advise what needs to be replaced and where I can get it from.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative. To make sure the noise .... do you think it can be from under the shifter area? where the propeller shaft from the trans to the rear differential . can you explain and let me know.? thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The noise apparently comes from the rear half of the SUV. It goes away when the car comes to a full stop and I pump on the brake. It again starts when driving on an uneven surface or when it hits a pot hole. It increases in pitch as I go faster but once it starts it does not stop till the car comes to a complete stop. Once it does its not there till I hit uneven surface again.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
These vehicles are common with the center bearing on the rear drive shaft. did you use factory pads and rotors and did you use the shims from the old pads ?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
see the squealing noise would subside if the brakes were pressed while rolling then i would relate to the brake installation. i have seen more a drive shaft bearing when you have to come to a complete stop and sometimes the noise will start and again and some times not . the center bearing has a mind of its own . if its that part then the whole drive shaft needs to be replaced because the center bearing is not serviced separately
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe he changed the rotors and pads only and placed the old sensors. It was not done at the dealership. What are shims and how would I know if he placed new ones or old?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
they are like insulators usually stainless steel and you place graphite between the shim and the backing of the pad to allow some wiggle but no noise.aftermarket pads usually has a shim but it is glued to the pad which then some lube is needed to insulate for noise between the piston and the pad .i would return the vehicle back to the person or shop that replaced your rear brakes to make sure that they are properly installed , lubed and roadtested afterwards to make sure the noise is been eliminated. anything else?if not.....I try to be online 365 days a year.I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!So please rate me above!!!!If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.ThanksWolfgang
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will take it to the shop and see if that's the issue and get back to you.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
please let me know!!
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
Hello again !! just checking if you still need any more help if not..... please read below!!!I try to be online 365 days a year.I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.This rating is VERY IMPORTANT ! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!So please rate me above!!!!If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.ThanksWolfgang
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced all rotor's and brake pads with excellent quality German parts. The sound is still there. So its not the brakes.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
with out me at the car to road test it is hard but we have to come back to the center bearing of the propeller shaft . this is a known issue and common. As stated before in this conversation
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have that checked too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is what it sounds like.http://youtu.be/-iiUwUY68bk
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
yes its the center bearing of the drive shaft!!!!! done many of the replacements of that driveshaft assy. do not attempt to just replace the bearing because then you will have vibration issue. replace the rear propeller shaft from the trans to the rear differential an replace the bolts too.