Billy
Billy, Trainer/ Master Technician
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

Audi A6 Quattro: 06 a6 sat through several rain storms got

Customer Question

06 a6 sat through several rain storms got water in a electrical box on passenger side under the hood epc light and traction lights are on and car wont start
Category: Audi
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
Would that be the fuse box in plenum chambe, containing a few fuses, all maxi fuses (high amps)?
Was this the only fuse box affected in the plenum chamber (under windshield, engine bay)?
Did you check other fuse boxes, for blown fuses?
is the starter operating (engine turning)? or you get nothing while trying to start?
Did you check other fuse boxes for signs of water ingress (in luggage compartment).. and do you have signs of water on the carpets at the front?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wet carpet on passenger side. I get nothing when trying to start the car. Is the plenum chamber on the passenger side (under windshield ,engine bay) if so yes that's the only place that it was holding water.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Water on the passenger side is not good news, as there are control units behind the glovebox.
I will attach a diagram:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Zgf4dbmODzdnVKNVRxYloyekk/view?usp=sharing
I would first disconnect the battery negative lead. Double check for any blown fuses (in all fuse boxes). Then, i would make sure that the plenum chamber is clean and dry (on both sides).
Then i would remove the glovebox, and check the units and connectors behind. Make sure you have clean and tight contacts on these units.
Put the car in the sun (if available) for a few hours, and hope for the best.
If no control units were "fried" due to short circuits caused by water ingress, the engine should start. You might have a few warning lights on dash. But simply, clearing those should do.
If the problem persists, then we would need to check using a scan tool, to find the faulty component(s) and proceed as necessary.
Kindly get back to me with your findings, or if further info is needed.
Regards,
Billy