Billy
Billy, Trainer/ Master Technician
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

Epc light came on. Then gears indicator started to blink.

Customer Question

Epc light came on. Then gears indicator started to blink. Now car stuck in park. Bypassed it but hitting button under ash tray to start in neutral but still was unable to put in D or R. So input it back in park. And now key is stuck in ignition.Can u help
me?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if further assistance is needed.
Did you try to wiggle the shifter lever in park to remove the key from the ignition?
with ignition on, or engine running, if you depress the brake pedal, do the brake lights turn on? does the brake pedal light on the shifter turn on or off?
did you check for any blown fuses?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I got the key out and it's back to driving normal after I pulled the code p0706 and erased it. But I need to know why is it doing that it just get stuck k in park, all gears (PRNDS) starts flashing and the EPC light comes on. It doesn't give a engine light but only way to move car out of park is to erase the p0706 code..any advice??
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
The code P0706 indicates that the transmission range sensor or switch (TR switch) is faulty.
This is not a serviceable item. The transmission range being faulty means that the mechatronic unit within the transmission would require replacing. But first the wiring need to be checked thoroughly.
I will include some instructions to assist with the checks:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Zgf4dbmODzdGtTcW55cEJTclE/view?usp=sharing
Kindly get back to me with your findings, or if further assistance is needed.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will check for play in with the cord/wire. Also if it is the range that is faulty what needs to be replaced and do you recommend the Audi dealership to fix it? Also my skid plate fell off 2 months ago . Is that where the cord is located?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
If the TR switch needs replacing, you need t oahve it done by Audi dealership or an Audi sepcialist, as it requires coding (programming) after the new part is installed. You can check http://softelectronic.com as they may be able to fix your existing unit.
The wiring harness gets under the vehicle and inside the transmission. Near the skid plate location (not that it's relevant).
Kindly get back to me with your findings...
Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more assistance...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will have to check the wire still when I get home in 2hrs... Also like I stated a few months back I've been riding with my skid plate half way on half way off in till it finally fell completely off. Do you think me not having my skid plate on caused the malfunction with TR switch??
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Usually, not having a skid plate would not cause this.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the long response. I checked out my car and can't find anything wrong. Do you know what I Need to do? I stuck and clueless. I reset the code and now my car drives perfect again but I know and have a feeling that the problem will come back and that is what I do not want. I took the car to audi and paid them for nothing because they claim nothing is wrong with my car and they can't find the problem without the code being there. But I had to reset the code in order to move it out of park. Please tell me what do I Need to do fix or replace to make sure it never happens again?? Thanks for your help
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
If the code comes back, and having checked the wiring, then the TR switch needs replacing, you need t oahve it done by Audi dealership or an Audi sepcialist, as it requires coding (programming) after the new part is installed. You can check http://softelectronic.com as they may be able to fix your existing unit.
I'm afraid this is not something you (or anyone else) can do, as this unit requires programming by dealer.
I have seen instances where the code never comes back. Let's hope it's the case here. If not, when you get the problem, you need to head to dealership (or ask the softelectronics company) to replace and program the unit.
PS: and you're most welcome!!!
Kindly get back to me, if further assistance is needed.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah all wires are good and car runs fine. But that was the 3rd time in 30 days it went into limp mode and was stuck in park in till I reset the p0706 dtc. I took it to a specialized independent audi shop and they say they don't see a problem because there is nothing stored in the computer. So what do you recommend I do? I have my car back from the shop and is driving fine. Just hoping it dose not strand me again
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
I would recommend you keep driving it, and when the codes pops back, take it to Audi shop, and they will confirm the issue. They will repair or replace the mechatronic unit (in which the TR switch is integrated) accordingly.
I sure hope that the codes does not come back, and the vehicle does not strand you again. But given the symptoms and history, it looks like it will, until you replace or fix the unit.
Kindly get back to me if further assistance is needed.
Regards,
Billy