Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. imports and domestic, former shop owner
2947720

Thumpimg growling noise on road from start off to very fast

Customer Question

Thumpimg growling noise on road from start off to very fast and noisy at freeway speed. New Sumitomo 235/55r17 6mo ago, any suggestions? Thanks Ken
Category: Audi
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.
.
.
That can very well be a bad wheel bearing. One way to see is to jack up the vehicle and listen to the back of the hubs with a stethoscope, (or a long pipe) while the wheels are turning, (with engine running).
.
Another is to see if the sound changes when you turn into and away from it. A bad bearing on the right side, (front) will be louder when turned to the left, (while moving) and subside when turned to the right. Visa versa for the left side.
.
.
If so then the hub assembly, (with bearings in it) would have to be replaced.
.
.
Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.
.
Thanks
.