FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFICATION, AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL
1627031

Audi S4 Avant: I have a 2006 audi s4 4.2 v8 . I have low

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2006 audi s4 4.2 v8 . I have low compression on all cylinder at 120psi , so I thought I had a problem with the timing chain guide or tensioners , I had a small rattle on cold start ups but nothing serious , I didn't have any fault codes , so I removed the timing chain covers And found nothing wrong ?????? Now I'm thinking it might be the camshaft adjusters but the compression is low on all 8 cylinders ,the car also seems to slightly misfiring on low idle !! Can you help
Regards Gordon
Category: Audi
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello Gordon, my name is Bobby. Can you tell me how the car is actually running? What made you check for compression? How many miles are on it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car is running good but down on power on low rpm from idle to 3,000 rpm I can hear the exhaust poping on idle ! I checked the compression Because I had no fault codes and didn't know where to look next , I know the car is down on power and I think it's the inlet cams I know there oil filled for advance and regard timing but if there not working will my s4 have low compression an all cylinders ? The vehicle has 118,125 kms on it .
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. How did the timing chain look? Was there full tension on it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the chain looks good and tight and the tensioners look good !
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. The reason I ask is because the compression is not bad enough to suspect that the timing is off. You may have low compression due to wear. Did you happe to do a wet compression test?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi the engine is not worn I done a wet test and the compression did not improve ! I also had no blow back or the engine was not burning or using oil .
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response. I only ask because if the valve timing was off the compression would be much lower if not zero. Did you happen to check the exhaust for a clogged catalytic converter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I checked the exhaust for a blocked precat and cat I even removed the complete exhaust system ! The timing could be out on the inlet adjustable cam side where it advance and retard the timing ?? How do you check these and how do you check the cam adjuster solonode ?
Regards Gordon
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
The solenoid can only be checked electrically. I am out of options on this. I am going to opt out and allow another expert to help you out with this. Please wait for someone else to respond. If you rate it will lock the question to me so please refrain from doing so. Thank you.