AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi A6 Quattro: I have an Audi a6 quatro that needed new

Customer Question

Hi I have an Audi a6 quatro that needed new water pump replaced trimming belt water pump and thermostat put back car ran fine for ten min drove car around block now it bearly idell have to feather throttle to keep it running went back in check trimming was fine seams to be something with computer I switched out coil PAC no change also all vacuume lines same tried fuel cleaners same get multiple cylinders misfire only 2 cylinders seam to be working 1 and 6 pulled spark plug wires off all other cylinders no change new plugs also
Category: Audi
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!!
What exact faults do you have stored in the ecm?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P0306 p0118 battery died my other codes were cleared out
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked compression in cylinder # ***** ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes all cylinders have good compression
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 1 year ago.
When you did the timing did you use the cam bar lock tool to hold the cams and the crank pin to lock the crank in place??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P0300 p0303 p0305 p0306p0118
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Random mult misfire
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes used bar and lock tool timming is fine
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 1 year ago.
I just want to make sure the cam timing is correct not just the timing belt timing ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pulled belt off bought 2nd new belt put it back on with bar and locks same pulled and replace all spark plugs and checked fire to plugs same pulled injectors aimed them to sky fuel shoots fine good spray pattern same fire spark order and compression fine engine ran fine for ten min drove car then this
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 1 year ago.
The question i have is did you put the cam bar and crank pinn inn before removing the original belt ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes remove and replaced with bar
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And pin n plLAce
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 1 year ago.
Ok do you have a capable scan tool so you can try to reset the basic setting on the throttle body ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No have cheap o
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 1 year ago.
Ok since you have checked your work the next step that will need to be taken is to remove the valve covers and check the cam timing to make sure the cam chain on the cams have not moved and are in time , i will need you to put the vehicle in top dead center and upload pictures of the cam chain set up on each cylinder head please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will do
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Turned eng to tdc put in bar and pin timming still lined up left bar and pin n pulled both valve covers all four cams are lined up perfectly with arrows and tensioners are tight counted 16 links on both pics did not com out we'll send anyway
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 1 year ago.
So you do have 16 links between both can marks on each head ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay , did you disconnect the battery when the work was done ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Next step plz
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to set the basic settings on the throttle body with your scan tool ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Audi0405 replied 1 year ago.
Ok you will need to try to get access to a vw capable scan tool to see if you can see if you can set basic settings on the throttle body to rule that issue out especially since the battery was unplugged for a decent amount of time .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ol