Jake
Jake, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained
9204914

Audi S4: I have an 2008 automatic audi s4..and it won't start..what

Customer Question

I have an 2008 automatic audi s4..and it won't start..what I noticed is when the car is in park or neutral I hear clicking and the press brake symbol on the gear lever...when it does not click and blink the car will start
Category: Audi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The clicking noise is coming from under the gear lever area
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Thank you for choosing Just Answer with your question.
I suspect the brake light switch on the pedal is failed. The starter will not engage unless the vehicle sees a brake applied signal. Next time the vehicle won't start check to see if the brake lights are working. Ideally you will have someone with you that can check while you're applying the brake.
While it could be something else, the brake light switch is the most likely cause. They are relatively inexpensive so you want to just go to the dealer and pick up a brake light switch and replace it.
I hope that I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. If you have any more questions for me please don’t hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer. Bonuses are always APPRECIATED. Please rate my answer as OK, GOOD, or EXCELLENT. With a lower rating I will not be compensated. Please contact me with your concerns if you cannot rate my answer OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT.
Thank You! Jake “The Audi Doctor”
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
https://youtu.be/zGmP2uouOzMAny idea why that depress brake symbol keeps clicking in P and N....and why won't the car start if its clicking but starts when it does not click
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Some more details...if i press the brake it stops clicking and the depress brake symbol turns off but car still wont start...but car will start if the symbol is lit and not clicking without my foot on the brake pedal
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Yes, P and N are the positions where you can start the car and like I said the vehicle needs to see a break signal before it will allow the starter to engage. If you'll notice if you simply turn the key on in P or N, every time you depress the brake it will click once. That's the shift lock unlocking so the transmission can be shifted out of P or N.
That is a bit strange. Have you checked the brake lights? There are additional wires in the brake light switch so it may even be the brake light switch even though the brake lights function. I don't like to "throw a part at it", but in this case it's relatively inexpensive and highly likely. I suggest you replace the switch as that's the most likely cause. Also, If it's more than that you'll likely need to take it to a repair shop as diagnosis may be difficult.
Thank you!
Jake
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
https://youtu.be/4RxdG9UHT2AHere u will see the brake pedals not touched at all..i put the key in pos 2 and brake symbol starts to click constantly...when it does constantly click car won't start...but if i put the key in pos 2 and there is no clicking of the brake symbol without me having to step on the brake pedal the car will start...once the car starts the time it takes before it will shut down again varies..last night car stopped at a traffic signal and the clicking hasn't gone away..i had to get the car towed..the starter was replaced a week ago due to intermittent start issues..now i have this weird problem
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Ok, sorry for not realizing sooner. That will likely be something more involved. Possibly I n the access start system. There may be something in your owners manual, but the vehicle would likely need to be scanned with an Audi factory capable scanner like a VAGCOM. Do you have access to such a device? All systems should be scanned and any fault codes retrieved and recorded.
First I suggest you check through your owners manual and see if you can find more than "bring it to a dealer for inspection". If you can get the vehicle scanned and return here with all the stored fault codes I can further assist you.
Thanks!
Jake