Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Audi: My 2002 Audi A4 1.8 turbo. Just one day stopped running

Customer Question

My 2002 Audi A4 1.8 turbo. Just one day stopped running smooth. Is really rough running now and the check engine light is blinking. Starts right up, and doesn't stall, but lost 1/2 or more of its power
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. This usually means you have a failed ignition coil. You can use a spark tester to check output of each coil, any coil that has weak spark or no spark will need to be replaced. While your at the parts store you can also have diagnostic codes checked for free. Let me know if you run into more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told not to drive it since engine light is blinking. I have a auto parts store 2 miles away, can it b driven?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Ya, it should be fine to drive 2 miles away. Let me know how it goes or if you run into more questions. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to keep asking about the check engine light. But if it's blinking does that mean it is something serious?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And I should take extra caution
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
That means the engine has a current misfire which is usually caused by a failed ignition coil. Just drive lightly and you will be ok. Let me know if you have more questions or run into questions. This would be around a $200 repair at a shop. Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.