FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFICATION, AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL
1627031

Audi S5: 2009 Audi S5, Manual. Push button Start.Few hours

Customer Question

2009 Audi S5, Manual. Push button Start.
Few hours earlier car ran perfectly, car was park, nothing done to it. When attempting to start, the engine only turns over approx. 1 revolution, then stops trying to start. If i do not press the clutch pedal, i get the message to press the pedal to start. Every attempt at starting the car turns over exactly the same, even tried jumping the battery, no change. One note: the Cruise control which was previously working fine, would not turn on during the last drive of the car.
Category: Audi
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. Can you tell me if you have a voltage meter to run some tests?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have a Voltage meter.I submitted a close request before you replied as I ended up getting the car started. I've now reopened the question.If I press and hold the start button the car will start(pressing the clutch like normal, touch and release of start button still does not work), cruise still does not work. I've found minimal information on the Internet suggesting a bad clutch pedal position sensor will cause the cruise to not work. What I have found so far is the two clutch related fuses (5 amp I believe, in the fuse box located on the right side of the dash board in the door jam area) are good. Also checked all the small fuses in the engine ECU container box.FYI, if you have never worked on the S5 6spd. With this car model unlike other models or perhaps years, the clutch position sensor is located in the clutch master cylinder, which is located in between/under the main body firewall and engine firewall buried under the main engine/body electrical harness, brake booster and ECU, all but the booster needs to be removed/disconnected to access the Master cylinder in any way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From above "fuse box located on the right side of the dash". I meant left side, IE. The driver side.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for reopening the question. Would you say that the cruise and starting issue happened right at about the same time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, without a doubt. I use cruise 99 times out of a 100 when I drive(drive on the highway mostly).
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
It does sound like the clutch pedal switch is causing this. It is a very common issue on this vehicle. It will cause a starting problem and keep the cruise from working if it does not close correctly.